cleanup empty folders from HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jaygor

Hi

I acquired an 80gb external HD from a freind. It is not clean it so I want compress a lot his files and folders and leave one to side for while till its safe to delete it all. I have permission to delete everything. But I am being a little cautious.

The trouble is one of the directory is huge, about 20gb, with many subdirectories and folders. There many instances when whole list of folders are empty. There could be 100s or 1000s of these empty folders.

Is there a freeware filemanager with a filter that I can use to isolate all the empty folders and delete them. And how would you use the filter. I would then be able to defrag the HD.

jaygor

Find Junk Files includes a program that finds empty folders. You might want to use the Find Junk Files program also. Another handy program that comes with it is Find Dead Links.

jaygor

thanks Stantley for such a quick reply
I will try it out
jaygor

bonk

Banned
Be careful with that program some users have had problems after running it.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Empty folders are taking up "nominal" space. Why worry about them?

jaygor

Yes thanks I will be careful with the prgrogram, and I am not too worried about the empty folders. I just want to be a little neat and tidy.
In anycase this specific problem has occured to me and I was wondering how to solve it.
I will most probably try out the program over the weekend.

Just in case, I would suggest a full backup of your current system before working with the external hd.

jaygor

thanks, full backup of system and essential folders/files have already been done...

I suppose I was trying to point out that you can always find programs that will find empty files in the hard disk but I have never come across a program that will find empty folders spread so liberally across so many layers of one directory.. anyway thanks again for the help and advice it is always appreciated

I look forward to the weekend..
happy weekend evryone

DoubleHelix

Banned
I'd like to hear the explanation from the friend as to why he had 1000s of empty folders on his hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online