1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cleanup empty folders from HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jaygor, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

Hi

I acquired an 80gb external HD from a freind. It is not clean it so I want compress a lot his files and folders and leave one to side for while till its safe to delete it all. I have permission to delete everything. But I am being a little cautious.

The trouble is one of the directory is huge, about 20gb, with many subdirectories and folders. There many instances when whole list of folders are empty. There could be 100s or 1000s of these empty folders.

Is there a freeware filemanager with a filter that I can use to isolate all the empty folders and delete them. And how would you use the filter. I would then be able to defrag the HD.

jaygor

2. stantley

stantley

Find Junk Files includes a program that finds empty folders. You might want to use the Find Junk Files program also. Another handy program that comes with it is Find Dead Links.

3. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

thanks Stantley for such a quick reply
    I will try it out
    jaygor

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Be careful with that program some users have had problems after running it.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Empty folders are taking up "nominal" space. Why worry about them?

6. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

Yes thanks I will be careful with the prgrogram, and I am not too worried about the empty folders. I just want to be a little neat and tidy.
    In anycase this specific problem has occured to me and I was wondering how to solve it.
    I will most probably try out the program over the weekend.

7. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Just in case, I would suggest a full backup of your current system before working with the external hd.

8. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

thanks, full backup of system and essential folders/files have already been done...

I suppose I was trying to point out that you can always find programs that will find empty files in the hard disk but I have never come across a program that will find empty folders spread so liberally across so many layers of one directory.. anyway thanks again for the help and advice it is always appreciated

I look forward to the weekend..
    happy weekend evryone

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'd like to hear the explanation from the friend as to why he had 1000s of empty folders on his hard drive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice