1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clear everything!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mike_Clearnet, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike_Clearnet

Mike_Clearnet Thread Starter

I just got a new computer, so now I am giving my old one to someone else. But I don't want that guy to sort out my drive to see what I've been doing. So how could I "safely" clear everything from my drive, leaving just window installed. (Just like a new computer)
    I even want the record from reg. editor be delete too!!

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Depends how paranoid you are. There's absolutely nothing you can do to completely prevent someone from getting your data back. If you want a total guarantee, you have to melt the drive platters with a blow torch.

Most people are comfortable using software that performs a series of read/writes on every sector of the drive. That'll prevent most people from recovering your data. To do that, however, you have to completely format your drive. Then you'd have to reinstall Windows.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mike
    The only way to actually make sure there is nothing left is to reformat and reinstall the OS. If you wish to transfer other programs to the individual then give them the CD's and let them make the decision to install.
    Dave

4. hewee

hewee

Mike_Clearnet

Download Norton SystemWorks and run Norton WipeInfo.

Norton WipeInfo removes all traces of selected files or folders from your hard drive. It can also wipe the free space on your hard disk, insuring that previously deleted information is not left on your hard disk.
    You can use the Fast Wipe, which writes all zeros or any other character you choose. Alternately, you can use the Government Wipe, which is a 7-pass procedure that conforms to the method specified in DoD document 5220-22-M, National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual.

Be certain before you use WipeInfo. You cannot unerase information after it has been wiped.

The steps for a Government Wipe are as follows:

1 The data is overwritten with all 0s, and then overwritten by all 1s.
    2 The first step is repeated as many times as you like.
    3 Then a random value, or any other value you choose from 0 to 255, is written.
    4 The value written is verified to insure that it was written correctly.
    5 The entire process is repeated as many times as you like.

There you go.
    Now if you have the CD or know someone that does then you can run it from the CD.
    Norton Disk Doctor
    Norton WinDoctor
    Norton UnErase
    Norton WipeInfo

These can all be run from the CD so if you got it or a friend then ask to use it.

5. JuanBoy

JuanBoy

The best way has to be a FDISK & Format!!

However make sure you've a Boot Disk with your CD drivers on it prior - makes life a lot easier installing Windows from CD when you can access the drive :)

6. Mike_Clearnet

Mike_Clearnet Thread Starter

Thanx guys

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mike
    Your Welcome! Most people that get a new/used computer never worry about what was on it prior and only are concerned with what, how, and when can I get it to do all those neat things.
    Dave

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice