Cleared windows 8.1 from my hard drive, no more OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sharkseatfish

I was faced with the blue screen of death on my Sony vaio laptop, which was running Windows 8.1. I tried everything I found online, went through every troubleshoot possible, including getting deep into CMD to try to resolve the issue. Nothing was working. So in a last ditch effort, I tried clearing my local hard drive. Little did I know I was going to be completely erasing my operating system (silly of me, I know) and now I'm faced with a black screen saying no operating system found whenever I start the laptop up. So, I would now like to install Linux on my laptop since it is free. How do I do this? I have access to a second computer, and a 32g usb drive. Any help is appreciated! :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the complete model number of that Sony VAIO laptop?
(Note: 2 sets of characters separated by a dash comprises the complete model number)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sharkseatfish

Okay I went to Windows and downloaded it onto my usb, now how do I get it onto the laptop without an os?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Easy, the same way you would if you built a new computer or replaced the hard drive, you boot from the USB key and go through the installation process.

Last edited:
The first thing I'd do is check to see if there is a hidden recovery partition on your PC that will restore it back to factory condition.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Are you going to answer the question in post #3?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online