1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clearing clipboard

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rameam, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

This may be a question most everyone knows, but I have never considered it before. I use the clipboard quite a lot, and it seems to use a lot of memory. I normally don't reuse anything I cut or copy, so I want to clear it. I have never done this before so don't know how or whether it can be done. Also, if I did want to go back and pick up something I put on the clipboard earlier, is that possible? Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There are utilities out there that you can run, they allow clearing and saving of clipboard items.

Consider that the utility may be more of an overhead than an item on the clipboard though.

An easier way would be to simply copy a single character. It will replace whatever was on the clipboard and use almost no memory.

Items copied earlier are lost (they are not saved anywhere permanent) when a new item comes along, unless you are using the enhancement in later Microsoft Office versions where the last 20+ items are available.

3. Corrosive

Corrosive

Or, go into Start > Accessiories > System Tools > Clipboard Viewer. Then just hit Delete and that'll clear it.

4. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

My OS is ME. I don't seem to have clipboard viewer. Should I? How else can I bring it up? Thanks for your replies.

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

I don't know why they have to move these things around ; always use to be in Accessories. Mine's in c:\windows\system32, altho' ME might not have this, I dunno. Try a hard drive search for clip*.exe and drag a copy (CTRL) to your desktop.

HTH,
    Andy

6. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

Did the search. Zero. Looked in sys 32 but couldn't find anything like that. Any more suggestions? Thanks

7. XL Guru

XL Guru

How to Install and Run Clipboard Viewer

This article was previously published under Q141310

SUMMARY
    Clipboard Viewer is not installed by default in Windows. This article describes how to install and run Clipboard Viewer.

MORE INFORMATION
    Windows 95
    To install Clipboard Viewer, follow these steps:

In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    Click the Windows Setup tab.
    Click Accessories, and then click Details.
    Click the Clipboard Viewer check box to select it, and then click OK.
    Click OK.
    To run Clipboard Viewer after you install it, click the Start button, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Clipboard Viewer. You can use Clipboard Viewer to view the contents of the Clipboard.

Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    Click the Windows Setup tab.
    Click System Tools, and then click Details.
    Click the Clipboard Viewer check box to select it, and then click OK.
    Click OK
    To run Clipboard Viewer after you install it, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Clipboard Viewer. You can use Clipboard Viewer to view the contents of the Clipboard.

8. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

It tells me I need the disc, which I don't have. It is OEM, so I guess I can,t get it?

9. XL Guru

XL Guru

I guess you'd have to talk to Micro$oft -- unless you can think of anything else.

Rgds,
    Andy

10. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice