1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clearing search history

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nadineg, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nadineg

nadineg Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm using IE on Windows XP. I'm selling my computer to a friend, and I'd like it to be clear of files; I know how to clear history, cookies, and temporary internet files, but when I start to type queries in search engines like google.com, it still brings up a scroll-down list of queries I've previously typed. How do I clear that?
    Thanks!

2. BillC

BillC

Try Tools > Internet Options > general tab....then click on 'clear history' at the bottom of the window. Doesn't that work?

3. nadineg

nadineg Thread Starter

I've done that... I guess what I'm looking for is where passwords and user names are stored for sites like this where you have to log in; like when I type "n" on this site to type in my user name, "nadineg," it prompts me with the full user name before I've finished typing it. I thought this kind of information would be stored in cookies, but it isn't going away after I've cleared them out through tools>internet options.
    The same thing happens when I go to type something into google.
    Thanks a lot for the help!

4. BillC

BillC

Got it. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Content > Personal Information then click on 'auto complete' and then clear it. Is that what you wanted?

5. nadineg

nadineg Thread Starter

yes!! thank you :) have a great weekend.

6. sekirt

sekirt

Sorry....but if you are selling your computer, you really haven't cleaned very well. You should format and reinstall Windows.

If you insist on NOT formatting, for better cleaning you could get the working trial version of PurgeIE:

http://www.purgeie.com/

sekirt

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice