Clearing Space on SSD by Archiving Outlook to 2nd HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TechSalvage

Hi I hope someone can help me.

I have a 120GB SSD as my primary / boot drive which only has 6.4GB of free space but I also have a 2nd storage HDD in my PC which is 1TB.

I used WinDirStat to see what was taking up space. All of my work Outlook Files were taking up a lot of space (29.5GB) so I looked up some guides online in an attempt to free up some space on the SSD and came across archiving my Outlook files and saving this archived file onto the 2nd HDD.

I tried this and it has now created 13.1GB of Outlook Data Files on my HDD but no space was free'd up on my SSD - instead there was now 2GB LESS space!

I don't really want to mess around with getting a larger SSD but I need to free up some space. Outlook files seem the obvious move but I thought this would do it.

Does anybody know how to actually do this to free up space on my SSD?

By the way all of my documents, photos and video folders are already pointing to be saved onto my 1TB HDD so it seems to be Outlook Files, Windows system files and software / Adobe installation files taking up all the space on my SSD. I will never use 120GB SSD again, it's just too small!

Please can someone help me to clear out my SSD to make it a bit more usable! I am getting scratch disk errors on my Adobe software now! :(

Triple6

Rob
Your PST files appear to still be on the C Drive. You need to move those files to your other drive, cut and paste. If you move a PST file that Outlook is using you will need to tell Outlook the new location of the file when you first open it. See here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/to-move-an-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/

You should also run a Disk Cleanup. When you open Disk Cleanup make sure to check the box that says to clean up system files and also clean out your old system restore points: http://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-ways-to-free-up-hard-disk-space-on-windows/

If you are not planning to install Windows 10 and have the Get Windows 10 app popping up then you may also have a fairly large download folder for the downloaded Windows 10 installations files that download automatically in the background. You can use the free GWX Control Panel and block the Window 10 installation and empty out the downloads folder if it exists.

TechSalvage

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that archiving old files would simply clear out some of the old stuff and create these new pst files as archives instead, freeing up space and making my PST files on my C drive smaller.

I still wanted to have PST files on the C drive with the recent stuff for faster access from the SSD so that it wouldn't take longer to search the past 6 months or so of emails from my HDD.

Or have I not understood how archiving works?

Triple6

Rob
You would need to not only archive to another drive but also compact the original PST files to reduce their size. Compacting: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/289987

You appear to have numerous PST files, some may be old orphaned ones too since one has a 2015 date and one of them looks to a backup(.bak) that can just be moved or deleted. You need to look at all the files you have and figure out why you have 14 files in your Outlook folder.

TechSalvage

Thank you, I will test out compacting and then work out which ones I can delete!

Do I not need the back up though?

UPDATE:

So I looked at my SSD space today and it seems to have changed for the better a bit before compacting anyway:

Before compacting:

Then I compacted one of my outlook files (which takes about 15-20 mins or so):

So I have saved 5.59GB from just that one! That is a good saving! Thanks, I'll continue to do the rest now! :)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online