1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Clearing the BIOS/CMOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larryh10000, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5602 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7640G, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 569 GB (512 GB Free); D: 25 GB (3 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 184B
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have watched several videos on how to do this and some say just remove the silver battery on your MB for 5 minutes and then replace it and reboot the computer.

Other videos say, locate the silver battery on your MB and right next to it you should see a very small jumper. Just pull straight up on the jumper to remove it and wait a few minutes and then replace the jumper to the original position you found it in and reboot the computer.

And yet other videos say to simply go into your BIOS by tapping a special key as your computer is booting-up and that will allow you to enter the BIOS settings and select the option that says "Restore you BIOS to it's original settings" and then select Save and Exit.

My question is this: do all of these methods accomplish the same thing.

BTW, I don't need to do this right now but would like to learn how to do this if I would need to some day. Just trying to learn some of this stuff.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

1. On many laptops/notebooks which is what I think you have there is no silver cmos battery as silver generally refers to the CR2032
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

2. Also on many newer computers the battery or the jumpers if it has them will only reset the real time clock
    On older systems the CMOS battery also provided the small amount of charge required to maintain the non-volatile BIOS memory, which remembered BIOS settings between reboots. On modern systems this information is typically stored in flash memory and does not require a charge to be maintained.

3. If you do reset to defaults or optimized defaults - to original settings ensure you know what the present settings are, or you may well have problems.

4. See this for general information
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04831065

5. Your user manual for YOUR HP should contain the information you are seeking both regarding resetting UEFI - BIOS to defaults and if there is an accessible standard type CMOS - clock battery and where it is . I think it extremely unlikely that there will be on your HP

If you cannot find the info, post exact model - of the HP as the motherboard in the system info does not identify the actual HP model, that board was used on many models and the board itself has variants.

3. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

Great info and links - so helpful - thank you very much!

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!