ClearType not working?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AK57

Just switched from a Lenovo desktop running Windows 8 to a Dell running Windows 10 -- keeping my trusty Samsung analog LED monitor with a VGA connection. On the new computer, letters in all applications (word processing, browsers, emails) seem slightly shaky, faint, vaguely greenish -- not the clear, crisp, black typeface I had on the old computer (and have on my laptop that also runs Windows 10). Seems like exactly what ClearType was designed for, right? Except it has no effect, regardless of which options I select on each of the comparison-type screens. I've also checked Windows display settings: It's using the recommended full resolution that the monitor can handle (1280 x 1024). Would be grateful for any suggestions...

AK57

To the moderator who moved my post to this forum: Is this really a hardware issue? I'm guessing it has more to do with Windows 10. Any chance of moving it back to that forum?

plodr

Liz
It might have to do with the video chip in the new Dell compared to the video chip in the old Lenovo.

Since you didn't post the exact model of Dell, no one can guess the hardware in your new desktop.

AK57

Thanks for your reply. Nothing special for video: Intel UHD Graphics 630. And - perhaps relevant to the hardware vs. software question - everything else about the display is fine. It's just the lettering that seems odd.

DakBai

Dak
Possibly try a different cable? or try a different monitor to see if it persists?

AK57

Possibly try a different cable? or try a different monitor to see if it persists?
A reasonable suggestion, but I don't happen to have a spare monitor or cable. Also, I didn't have this problem on my previous (Windows 8) computer when it was connected to the same monitor with the same cable.

DakBai

Dak
Also, I didn't have this problem on my previous (Windows 8) computer when it was connected to the same monitor with the same cable.
I understand but things wear over time. Maybe the new computers port is bad? Is the Dell new? What's it's condition?

AK57

I understand but things wear over time. Maybe the new computers port is bad? Is the Dell new? What's it's condition?
Yes, the Dell is brand-new and everything else about it seems fine. I may be wrong, but I'm still guessing the problem has something to do with Windows's display/type settings. I just can't figure out what...

AK57

Start > Settings > Personalization > Fonts > Adjust Cleartype Text
Thanks, but the curious failure of ClearType adjustments (which I've tried multiple times) to do what it's supposed to do is the reason I posted this request for advice in the first place.

AK57

After starting this thread, I came across something interesting on another forum: Someone claims that Windows's native VGA driver doesn't support ClearType and therefore one must install a different driver. I guess that would explain why my CT adjustments aren't having any effect, but it seems odd that Windows would offer a feature that its own driver doesn't support. Does this sound plausible to you? If so, any idea where I would find - and how I would install - an appropriate replacement driver?

DakBai

Dak
After starting this thread, I came across something interesting on another forum: Someone claims that Windows's native VGA driver doesn't support ClearType and therefore one must install a different driver. I guess that would explain why my CT adjustments aren't having any effect, but it seems odd that Windows would offer a feature that its own driver doesn't support. Does this sound plausible to you? If so, any idea where I would find - and how I would install - an appropriate replacement driver?
Check Device Manager, right click on your graphics driver and click update in the menu. And no, this doesnt seem to be the case, because ClearType should have driver support..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online