Clicking Add/Remove Program icon in Control Panel does not start the Program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mzr

I have been using Add/Remove icon in Control Panel to remove programs. Although the Win2k Pro is running fine ,the icon of Add/Remove Program is not opening the next window to remove the programs.
Can anyone help me?
MZR Siddiquee

Try going to Start > Run, and typing:
appwiz.cpl <Enter>
and see if it opens that way.

Any error messages?

mzr

Hi Elvandi,
No error msg. No action after running. It is not an exe file.
Can anyone help?
MZR Siddiquee

No, it is a ".cpl" file. After you "Run" the applet from the Run box, open Task Manager. Is rundll32.exe running there?

mzr

After running appwiz.cpl when I check the task Manager, I find no rundll.exe process.
Thanks
MZR Siddiquee

mzr

After running appwiz.cpl when I check the task Manager, I find no rundll32.exe process.
Thanks
MZR Siddiquee

OK. Maybe we're narrowing it down.

Copy and paste this command in the Run box and press OK (include the quotes and the trailing comma in the paste).

"rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\appwiz.cpl",
(if C: is your system drive and Windows is your system directory).

See if Add/Remove starts or record any error message verbatim.

mzr

I have run the command in my system drive c & system directory WINNT. No error msg . The icon is not yet working.
Pl. help.
Thanks
MZR Siddiquee

Try replacing rundll32.exe and appwiz.cpl from your installation CD.

Also, unregister and reregister the Control Panel applet.

Run:
regsvr32 /u appwiz.cpl <Enter>
regsvr32 appwiz.cpl <Enter>

mzr

Thanks.
I shall try it.
I have noted a unique thing.
When I click the Add/Remove Program icon, a process mshta.exe strats as indicated in the task manager. If i click the icon ten times ten processes of mshta.exe starts and also I can kill them.
What is this?

Well, mshta is an "HTML Application Host". But it shouldn't be starting in this situation.

Just out of curiosity, look in Folder Options, File Types, and see if .cpl is listed there. Possibly a file association was made somehow that shouldn't be there.

When you find it, click Advanced. It should say "Control Panel Extension". Click it (highlight it) and click Edit. In the "Application Used to perform action" box, you should see this:

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "%1",%*

But try replacing those files from your CD.

Run:

expand D:\i386\rundll32.ex_ C:\Winnt\system32\rundll32.exe <Enter>
expand D:\i386\appwiz.cp_ C:\Winnt\system32\appwiz.cpl <Enter>

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts