1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clicking Control Panel = Death

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fiveson, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiveson

fiveson Thread Starter

Why is it that when I attempt to open the Control Panel - I lose total control? My mouse pointer still moves around - but nothing else works. I have to reboot. I did a recent virus scan and did get a "trojan" and it was isolated. I think the problem may predate the virus though.

In any case I need to fix this!

I DO NOT have a separate system disk for Windows 98.

Also, I was a sucker and bought MemMax (a memory expander) I had nothing but hang ups and crashes. I just uninstalled it and things work a whole lot better!

Please advise

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Try this:

Cure Your Ills With the System File Checker
    Windows 98

When you're having trouble with Windows 98--and who doesn't at some point--you might want to try a little-known utility called the System File Checker. Close all open programs and go to Run in the Start menu. Type sfc and click OK.
    Check the Scan For Altered Files radio button and click Start. SFC will look for files that have been corrupted. If it finds any, you can use it to extract clean versions of the files directly from your installation disk.

Or

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

Since you have no Win98 Install CD you can try pointing this wizard to C:\Cabs in the event you need to restore some lost, missing or corrupted files found by SFC.

3. fiveson

fiveson Thread Starter

Thanks Styxx for taking the time. I did what you suggested - twice (just to be sure). Didn't get rid of the problem. I click on Control Panel (as if to open it) and all goes dead except my ability to move the mouse pointer.

What to do what to do!????:rolleyes:

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Did SFC find lost, missing or corrupted files though? And did you successfully replace any that were found by SFC?

Back up your sensitive data and do a Scanreg:

(Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later.

In case windows becomes unusable and you have to re-install Win98. It sounds as though the hacker using the Trojan has messed with your operation system. To prevent hackers from attacking your computer again be sure to have a firewall like free Sygate running. Get it from http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10184369.html?tag=lst-0-1

Start your computer with a Win98 Startup disk in the [A] drive; Start without CDROM support; At the [A] prompt type, scanreg /restore and press Enter. Using the arrow keys below the Del key choose the earliest date possible and press Enter. Remove the disk and press Ctrl + Alt + Del simultaneously.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice