Clicking from Bios Speaker, no boot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dethred

Hey guys,

I just got my new case today and put everything together. I am 99% positive I got everything connected correctly, and didn't damage anything in the process.

Well, when I start it the computer arrives at the bios screen (MSI K8N Neo4) and stays there. After the initial Bios beep my bios speaker starts ticking, and I can't get into the BIOS menu or see a post menu... I checked to make sure it wasn't a wire tapping against a fan, but its definitely coming from the bios speaker. Please tell me this isn't another bum motherboard? The only change to the hardware has been the move to a new case with more fans. Everything worked fine before I switched cases.

I tried many different hardware configs and it still wont boot, and will only give the machine-gun-like clicking sound. Is there a Universal diagnosis for this sound? Please Help!

Sounds like the dreaded "click of death"... hard drive catastrophic failure. However, if you're absolutely sure this is coming from the speaker and not the hard drive, then that's probably NOT what the problem is.

It's very difficult to tell you what you may have done wrong. Reverse your steps and check ALL power connectors, ribbons, etc. Check for bent pins on the connectors too.

Dethred

110% certain it isn't a HD failure. Trust me I KNOW what that sounds like(n) This is coming from the bios speaker because when I put my thumb over the speaker the pitch changes, and when I disconnect the speaker and reboot there is no more ticking. Mobo wouldn't be dead if its getting to the "Platinum" screen would it? I tried different hardware configs, a different PSU, etc. This sucks, can't enjoy my christmas present now.:(

dustyjay

Jay
Are you sure you dont have a key stuck on your keyboard? That will stop you from gettinginto to bios and ay stop you from booting any further than you are sometimes!

Dethred said:
Hey guys,

Well, when I start it the computer arrives at the bios screen (MSI K8N Neo4) and stays there. After the initial Bios beep my bios speaker starts ticking, and I can't get into the BIOS menu or see a post menu... Please tell me this isn't another bum motherboard? The only change to the hardware has been the move to a new case with more fans. Everything worked fine before I switched cases.

I tried many different hardware configs and it still wont boot, and will only give the machine-gun-like clicking sound. Is there a Universal diagnosis for this sound? Please Help!
Good Morning Dethred, try removing all devices (drives and unneccessary cards) from the M/B, operate as a mimimum system. No keyboard or mouse, add these first if the problem clears.
If the problem doesn't clear it may well be something like a M/B level problem, remove the MB and run it on a table top using suitable precautions.
Nasty problem, possible PS/2 input fault.
Cheers, qldit.

Dethred

I tried all of that. One thing I remember is when taking the tower out of the Box it shocked me with static electricity. Maybe it fried something when I installed it. It is sitting on the Carpet in my room... Either way I have a service plan on this mobo from CompUSA so I'll take advantage of that... only problem is that I have lost my XP Pro CD and if CompUSA doesn't have the same mobo anymore I am screwed.

Thanks! The ticking is definitely close to the speed of holding down the delete key in the BIOS screen, but much louder. I guess I'll get an SLi board at this point.

Hello Dethred,
Just out of curiosity, did you sit the mobo on the 'spacers' that are usually provided with a case, if not, it could be shorting out to the case.

Dethred

The case came with the standard fare lifting screws that raise the back of the mobo off of the detatchable rear plate by about 1cm.

Tomorrow morning I am going to rebuild it and insulate some stuff and see if its shorting stuff out. If it doesn't work its off to get a 20 dollar replacement mobo. I tried removing everything but barebones hardware and replaced the barebones stuff with older stuff that I have and the mobo still ticks rapidly. Merry Christmas eh?:(

I have been caught before with the metal contact spring tabs on the plate that goes in the back of the case which the sockets protrude through.
Sometimes those tabs get bent and poke onto the board and cause all kinds of problems. Carefully inspect the tabs near the PS/2 sockets.
That is part of the reasoning to run the thing on the table.
It certainly has all the earmarks of an apparent keyboard problem even though none may be fitted.
Old Dusty is pretty sharp, he obviously has had the stuck key before also!
Some boards don't go past the initial POST, they just sit there similar to your symptom. Remember that the PS/2 keyboard is virtually multiplexed so it won't take much in the way of a short to kill the thing.
It often happens when someone puts the mouse and keyboard in the wrong sockets, but the ticking is a bit more intriguing. (keyboard scanrate)
Possibly even something on the board in that area.
The loss of the CD is a real pain, do you still have the code key?
qldit.

Dethred

I just returned it for a BFG tech Nforce4 mobo. Yeah I still have my CD key on the top of my old tower, but I can't find the friggin' CD. I also lost my XP home CD after lending it to a friend who lost his. It seems none of my friends have XP pro as their computers only have the recovery CD for XP. This sucks.

dustyjay

Jay
You loaned an OS Disc to someone else? Well that leads to at thing called Piracy in fact. Not a good thing. In the future after you purchase a new copy that has not been Borrowed or copied by someone else, remeber that All versions of Windows are sold with a single keycode to prevent just such a thing If some one askes if they can borrow your windows disc explain to them that you can not loan it to them so that they can install it on their Computer because this is against the law.

Good Morning Gentlemen, does that apply to loaning the disk as well Dusty or the CD key?
I have often used my CD on others machines but used their keys.
I can't possibly admit that I have also loaned the CD. (hangs head in shame and holds hands out ready for handcuffs!)
I am sure you will figure out a reasonable option there Dethred.

Meantime if you need an operating system that works well and is free, give this Puppy Linux a try, it has all the programs you will need, works well on the net, good friendly interface, virus and malware unaffected, and really is as steady as a rock. It is a shame it doesn't cater for gamers yet. http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
Learning curve required, maybe one hour plus.
Cheers, qldit.

dustyjay

Jay
Why would some one borrow an OS CD. #1 Unless you have obtained an illegal crack for the Keycode, their keycode will not work on a different Install disc. And on the flip side of that one OS disc will not work with someone elses Keycode unless the same illegal crack is applied. #2 If a computer came with an OEM installation of WinXP and the COA/Keycode is affixed to that case, that is legally the only comuter that copy of WinXP may be installed on.

Suggesting that someone do otherwise is not good. And is not permitted under the rules of this Forum.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online