1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clicking noise coming from tower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fishfartz, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fishfartz

fishfartz Thread Starter

i guess you call it the tower, the big box that holds my drives (you can tell i'm not too pc inclined, dont know much about hardware)

anyway, i noticed it about a week ago, it did it for a while, then nothing untill tonight. every minute or so, i hear a click-click.

actually the sound it makes is more of a "doon chick"

is this bad? i hope i dont have something fixing to die on me. this pc has been used by my folks for a while before they got a new one and i bought this one, its maybe 2 years old. it does get used daily, mostly for recording guitar tracks and some internet surfing.

any ideas?

thanks for any and all help, i do appreciate any responses

2. HappyHacker

HappyHacker

My first thought?

Backup you data!

It SOUNDS like you have a HDD that is dying.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download183.html
    Download and run AIDA 32 it is a system information utility. I t will not harm your computer.
    Let me know the maker of your hard disk drive.

3. fishfartz

fishfartz Thread Starter

thanks for replying, i'll check that link in the morning, i gotta run

but i dont know how to backup data or what that means (well sorta)i'll also look into the maker of the drive

my sister is coming over wednesday to take off this version of windows to put the original that came with this pc back on, with this version i cant download any critical updates at all.

anyway, i'll check into it 1st thing in the morning and get back, i really appreciate the response because i have no clue about this

4. c8n9b

c8n9b

Check and make sure your fans are still good. The bearings may have gone on your case fans.

5. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    If the HD is a western digital...you can almost gurantee it is the HD. As they all said..BACKUP DATA ASAP. I had the same problem. Do you hear the HD cylce on and off when that "doon click" comes about? lol

6. Cosmic

Cosmic

Pull off the cover and get down close and personal when it is running. Usually easy to locate the device / part / area making the noise.

If it is the hard drive, you can't have too many backups. Good to get that replacement drive in time and actually clone the new drive from the old one before it goes South.

If it turns out to be something else like a fan nice to know that in advance too. :D Ounce of prevention trump's many pounds of cure. Murphy's Law #39 :p

7. fishfartz

fishfartz Thread Starter

i used belarc advisor (its supposed to tell me what all is in the pc)

it says system model is Concentric VT8601

heres what it says about drives

40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    35.46 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

E-IDE CD-952E/TKU [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST340810A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3FB1XM48, rev 3.39, SMART Status: Healthy

i think i'll try to open it and check and see if i can figure out where the noise is coming from. the problem is, it only happened 1 time last week, and then last night for the last 30 minutes i had the pc on, but now its not doing anything.

i'm not sure about the HD cycle on and off, i've never really noticed it make any sound other than the constant slight hum it always makes. i hope its not the HD, if it is are they expensive? i think i would just wait and get a better pc if they are expensive. i mainly use it to record guitar tracks onto a digital studio, but this does not have a burner so i have to upload them to web, then go to the pc in the living room and download them to burn them to a disc from there. if this HD is gone i think i'll just get a pc that has what i want, but i really hope its not the HD.

what do you guys think based on the type of HD it is?

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Well, the first thing to do is to figure out where the noise is coming from.

It could be a case fan, CPU fan, power supply fan, one of the CD drives, or the HD.
    That's pretty much all the normal moving parts.

All are fairly easy and cheap to replace. A new 40Gb HD will cost about $30-50 these days, for example.

Tell us whats making the noise and we'll point you in the right direction.

9. brite750

brite750

Seagate ST340810A hdd, if you got all your guitar stuff burned on disk your ok. the dirve is saying it's healthly but not sure if that means much, you should run the Seagate diagnostic D/L from their site. To listen for sounds it's helpful to have a 18" length of 1/2" or 3/4" diam. plastic tubing, you can get at the hardware store.

10. fishfartz

fishfartz Thread Starter

thanks for all the help here to you all.

i will definately open it up when it clicks again to try and pinpoint the problem.

what will the HD look like? i have looked inside a pc when my sister installed more memory, it does not look complicated but i would not know which pieces are what.

like i said, it only happened 1 time about a week or so ago, then again last night after it was on for a couple hours.

its good to know it may not cost me more than $50

one more question, if it is the HD, will i ruin any of my PC if i just let it work till it dies? i'm not really worried about software or data as i could reinstall them after fixing. but would it say cause my pc to be unuseable after that, or could i wait till it dies and replace the HD if thats the problem?

thanks again to everyone

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It won't hurt the PC most likely. It'll just lock up if the noise is indeed coming from the hard drive. Could be an occasional exception where it damages the other components but that would be rare. Once you have it pinpointed and are sure it isn't something hitting a fan or a fan going south you can make your decision from there. If it is the hard drive you might as well replace it. I always find it easier to fix something before it totally fails. That way you don't get an unexpected failure and curse yourself for knowing and not doing.

12. fishfartz

fishfartz Thread Starter

i opened it up and gave it a good cleaning. this house is SO dusty, and the inside looked aweful. the fan looked okay and would spin freely with nothing hindering it, but it was covered in thick dust.

anyway i used one of those air blowers for electronics, most all the dust is gone. i'm not kidding, you couldnt even tell what was under some of the dust piles where it was clogged to the wall inside covering things.

anyway, i didnt know where to look because it has not made any sounds today, if it does i'll try and pinpoint it and come back here, you guys are very helpful.

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Well, with all that crud outta there it might not do it again. We can hope.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/252287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice