1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clicking open or browse closes program

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by truc, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. truc

truc Thread Starter

in almost all of my software programs--works word processor, real player, windows media player, internet explorer, every program i've tried actually--the program will open fine, but when i select "open" from the file menu, it just closes automatically, or it takes me to a menu where if i select "browse" it closes as well. this is really annoying and i can't for the life of me figure out what caused it. i hope someone out there can help me. thanks.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The place I would start would be Internet Explorer. I would repair it.
    To do that. Go to Control Panel>Add Remove Programs and scroll to the Inernet Explorer Entry. Click Remove. Three Choices will pop up. Choose Repair.

And I would also scan for a virus.

3. truc

truc Thread Starter

i can't select internet explorer from add/remove programs. i don't know why but it's not on the list.

also, what's a good virus scanner/protector? my pc came with mcafee active shield but i haven't subscribed to their service.

again, thanks for whatever help you might provide.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If Ie isn't on the list, it is more than likely that you are running WIn98SE or Win ME and have never upgraded IE.
    To get that option, you need to upgrade IE. I would recommend you do that. What OS are you using?

5. truc

truc Thread Starter

i'm running windows me and haven't upgraded ie.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

7. truc

truc Thread Starter

i downloaded and installed the ie5.5 service pack 2 and nothing's changed.

also, my system restore points were deleted, so that's not an option either.

could you tell me just why would a problem with internet explorer be effecting all my other software in this weird way?

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

IE is integrated into the system. Open and browse buttons on dialogs send messages (commands) and let Windows know what to do. I was hoping a repair would straighten out whatever wires are crossed. Maybe a corrupt file. Unfortunately, it didn't.
    I don't know why all your restore Points are gone. Maybe a WinMe user would have an answer for that.
    I have been trying to track this Interface problem in my Registry. So far no luck. I'll work on it more and see if I can recreate it. If I do, I'll let you know.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice