Clicking "Start" won't bring up Shut Down Window

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Susie N

Hi all,

My mom is having trouble with her computer. If she clicks the start button (she has Windows XP Home Edition), and chooses "Turn Off Computer" nothing happens. She is not given the little box that lets you choose to Stand by, Turn Off, or Restart. I'm at a loss. Anyone here have an idea? TIA!

I found this - hopefully it's helpful:

Win XP Won't Completely Shutdown

Go to Control Panel, then go to Power Options.
Click on the APM tab, then check the "Enable Advanced Power Management support."
Shut down your PC.
It should now successfully complete the Shut Down process.

Susie N

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it will bring up the shut down box in the future after doing that or will she have to do that each time?

I'm not that suggestion really applies to your problem, but here is the full drill:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=810903

However you should also look at the Device Manager entries for ACPI and or APM (under System Devices) if present. Normally APM will not be present if ACPI is available. Make sure under the properties window that it says working properly.

How long has this problem existed? And has a System Restore been tried to correct it?

Susie N

Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I'm not exactly sure how long the problem has been going on. I will be at their house on Friday and I'll give these suggestions a try. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

If "turn off the computer" is present in the start menu then the problem is not due to a policy restriction. If only "log off" is there, it is.

Here are some other options to check out. Do a ctrl-alt-del to open the Task Manger. Is the "shutdown" menu there and usable?

Open the Control Panel > Power Options applet. Under the Advanced tab, is there an option to configure what the "power button" on the computer does? If you set it to shutdown, does it work (momentary press)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online