1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Client email issues

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BigWhiteDog, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigWhiteDog

BigWhiteDog Thread Starter

I work for a small web design company that host our own clients. I am not a server tech but I have to make do. Recent problem has come up. We have several clients that are having sporadic issues connecting to their mailboxes on our server. They are ALL using some form of outlook (which I personally don't use so I am not real up on it). The error is as follows....The host 'mail.naturalsolutionsplacerville.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
    Account: 'Internet mail', Server: 'mail.naturalsolutionsplacerville.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

We are running a windows 2003 web edition server with IIS6 plesk 7.5.6 (reloaded) and MailEnable Standard 1.95 all leased form GoDaddy.

Anybody have any ideas? This is not constant. Is it possible that there is some type of DNS issue? Or a problem with the mail program? Help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good chance it could be DNS or something similar. See Thumbnail for what I got when putting that address into my address bar. I assume I would not be getting my email if that were what I was attempting. :eek:

Attached Files:

3. BigWhiteDog

BigWhiteDog Thread Starter

That particular page is the homework site for an intern of ours. I have a feeling that it comes from a change I had to make to the "default" site while working on an SSL issue. Now I have to fugure out where that was and how to undo it. Any clues?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know nothing about this. The only thing I noticed, which may be a good clue to you, is the address given at the very top of my thumbnail, in the blue area. That indicates that there was some redirection from the address I typed into the address bar to the web page actually displayed.

5. ibdreamy

ibdreamy

I work for a webhost and email hosting company in tech support myself.
    How I go about trouble shooting email issues is I start from the ground up.

1. I make sure they are using the correct name servers and test the email address is valid. http://hexillion.com/asp/samples/SimpleEmailValidation.asp
    2. Check their DNS records > http://network-tools.com/
    3. Go over all the settings with them that they are using in their Outlook config.
    4. If your company requires authentication and SSL you'll want to check they have those checked or unchecked however you guys require it.
    5. I'll send them test emails and if I recive a bounce back I check the headers for the error code and do a search for it.
    6. If you don't recieve a bounce back but they have been ask them to send you the headers of the bounce back and check the headers for the error.
    Check who they are sending too..It's possible your server is being blocked by a certain provider. Like ATT for example blocks a lot.

I hope this helps some when trouble-shooting email issues. Good Luck!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice