Clock advances 1 year sporadically

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OleLau

I am running a Win98 SE pc.

After a reformat and reinstallation the clock has started to play tricks.

Every once in a while the clock will have advanced 1 year after startup.

After adjusting the clock back to 2001, the year stays correct for the session but after restart there is at the moment a 50% chance that the clock will have advanced 1 year.

Pretty annoying when running time dependant applications like book keeping.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Check to see what date you have in your bios setup.

When the computer is restarting hit the DEL key, Compaq F 10, other models try F 1 or F 2.

OleLau

Originally posted by AcaCandy
Check to see what date you have in your bios setup.

When the computer is restarting hit the DEL key, Compaq F 10, other models try F 1 or F 2.
I just tried to see the BIOS date. It was 31.10.2001 during startup and after windows has started it is now 31.10.2002.

So it is something happening between startup and windows finishing its startup.

One major difference between my config before the reformatting and reinstallation is that I run Norton Antivirus rather than McAfee.

Any other suggestion?

Rgds

Olé

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, try this: when windows is restarting, tap the F 8 key.....do a step by step start-up.

Hit Y to everything one by one......watch everything scroll across....does anything appear to be clock or time related?

Acacandy will get this taken care of, but, BTW. Remember, I said the article was for losing time but the solutions would be the same for gaining time. If you look in the cause section, you will notice third party anti-virus is listed which is in line with your last post about Norton.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online