Clock Error

elsb

1. How are you connected and is it to a secure network
2. IF you are connected secure network and not using some open unsecure connection then follow as below IN the order shown.

• Sometimes the third-party plugins to your browser you installed can create issues. Try disabling one by one and once you find out the plugin that is causing the issue, remove it.
  • Clear cache files and the browsing history on your Chrome browser. To do so, click the menu icon, go to History, and select “Clear browsing data.”
  • Delete your Chrome browser and re-install it. Sometimes, it solves the issue.
Hi- I have Frontier Communications for an ISP (for many years). I use a router provided by them. Yes, it is secure as far as I know. I am not sure how to check 3rd party plug ins, but can search how to do that. I did clear cache more than once already. I am concerned about deleting the browser and reinstalling cause I don't want to lose all my settings. And am using 49.0 so not sure if that version is available. Appreciate your continued help!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
STEP 1- Launch Chrome browser and hit the (three-horizontal dots) icon on the upper-right corner.

STEP 2- Click on the option: New Incognito Window!

STEP 3- Start browsing privately!

That will disable all extensions - add-ons

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
After you have tried the above go to a cmd prompt and type
ipconfig /all
press enter
on the results
look please for
lease obtained and lease expired
as per my example
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 October 2021 11:34:59
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 October 2021 11:34:59
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . .
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . :
C:\windows\system32>

I have deleted various info from my results but you need to check that the lease times are obtained BEFORE the current time and EXPIRES after the current time

elsb

STEP 1- Launch Chrome browser and hit the (three-horizontal dots) icon on the upper-right corner.

STEP 2- Click on the option: New Incognito Window!

STEP 3- Start browsing privately!

That will disable all extensions - add-ons
I did this. Still get the clock error in the incognito window. Drats!

elsb

After you have tried the above go to a cmd prompt and type
ipconfig /all
press enter
on the results
look please for
lease obtained and lease expired
as per my example
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 October 2021 11:34:59
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 October 2021 11:34:59
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . .
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . :
C:\windows\system32>

I have deleted various info from my results but you need to check that the lease times are obtained BEFORE the current time and EXPIRES after the current time
Hi - My command prompt window is cut off on the right so I cannot see everything. The window will not copy and paste. The two dates are the same Thur Oct 21 2021 . The times listed were 8:23:59am. and 12:23:59 (there was no am or pm after this rtime cause the screen was cut off)

plodr

Liz
A bit off topic: You are using an OS that hasn't been patched since April 8, 2014 with one exception. (A special patch was issued for XP on May 9, 2019 because it was a serious hole.)
You are using a browser that came out in March 2016 and is unpatched.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_version_history

So you are not secure when you take XP on the internet. (We have two XP computers in the house; neither goes on the internet.)

At the very least, get a browser that works on XP and is actively being patched.

Slimjet Web Browser, which is based on Chromium and continues to support XP and Vista.
https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

or MyPal (similar to Firefox)
https://www.mypal-browser.org/

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Indeed and re the browser as you mentioned in post 5.
However as unsatisfactory as the use of XP is from many aspects I do not think - any of them are the cause of this problem

elsb

Hi - My command prompt window is cut off on the right so I cannot see everything. The window will not copy and paste. The two dates are the same Thur Oct 21 2021 . The times listed were 8:23:59am. and 12:23:59 (there was no am or pm after this rtime cause the screen was cut off)
AH- got it. I ran it again. The least was obtained 10:23:59am and expire on 2:23:59pm Thursday Oct 21. The time on my clock when I did this was 12:12pm.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
After much research I think I have found the cause

It is complicated to explain in detail

The problem is - I think that Chrome is not recognising the trusted root certificate from websites.
The message that the clock is ahead is as you know NOT the correct message

The incorrect message is displayed - most likely because of Chrome being out of date itself

The problem I think can be seen if on Chrome you follow this

1. Open your Google Chrome first.
  2. Then click on the Setting option from the main menu.
  3. In the Privacy and security section, click on Security.
  4. Find the Manage Certificates option in the middle of the page and click on it.
When the window opens and you click the heading trusted root certificates you will NOT find one for Vitacom in itself
but I think it is those certificates that are causing the error

IT MAYBE that you have to try another browser as suggested by my colleague
OR you MAY find that AVAST is the problem

Be extremely careful you only go to trusted sites but try disabling avast

As a last resort and AT YOUR OWN RISK try this
It is ONLY to see if I am correct NOT a solution

1. Close Google-Chrome, then right-click on the launching executable/shortcut. Then choose Properties.
  2. Once you’re inside the Google Chrome Properties screen, select the Shortcut tab from the horizontal menu at the top.
  3. Inside the Shortcut tab, add the following command at the very end of the Target text box:
  4. --ignore-certificate-errors
  5. Click on Apply to save the changes, then launch Chrome

elsb

After much research I think I have found the cause

It is complicated to explain in detail

The problem is - I think that Chrome is not recognising the trusted root certificate from websites.
The message that the clock is ahead is as you know NOT the correct message

The incorrect message is displayed - most likely because of Chrome being out of date itself

The problem I think can be seen if on Chrome you follow this

1. Open your Google Chrome first.
  2. Then click on the Setting option from the main menu.
  3. In the Privacy and security section, click on Security.
  4. Find the Manage Certificates option in the middle of the page and click on it.
When the window opens and you click the heading trusted root certificates you will NOT find one for Vitacom in itself
but I think it is those certificates that are causing the error

IT MAYBE that you have to try another browser as suggested by my colleague
OR you MAY find that AVAST is the problem

Be extremely careful you only go to trusted sites but try disabling avast

As a last resort and AT YOUR OWN RISK try this
It is ONLY to see if I am correct NOT a solution

1. Close Google-Chrome, then right-click on the launching executable/shortcut. Then choose Properties.
  2. Once you’re inside the Google Chrome Properties screen, select the Shortcut tab from the horizontal menu at the top.
  3. Inside the Shortcut tab, add the following command at the very end of the Target text box:
  4. --ignore-certificate-errors
  5. Click on Apply to save the changes, then launch Chrome
Hi - thanks for the explanation. What about the time being off from the command prompt reporting to the actual time on my computer (as stated above)? Is there a way to correct that?

When I go to settings in Chrome, there is only a 'Privacy' section with an option to click on 'content settings' (which I did). I do not see certificates in that listing at all.

I contacted Avast way before starting this thread on Tech guys. Avast seems to be at a loss for what this could be. My first thought after the issues started happening was that it could be an Avast issue. Just not sure what to check in the Avast settings. I spent time looking at them (at the time) , but didn't see anything.

I did not try the ignore certificates option yet. But will let you know when I do try it. THANK YOU!!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi - thanks for the explanation. What about the time being off from the command prompt reporting to the actual time on my computer (as stated above)? Is there a way to correct that?
I thought you posted that the lease comencment and the lease end was within the time limits for the time on the computer

Re the privacy on Chrome when you get there have you got a
Manage Certificates
entry

elsb

I thought you posted that the lease comencment and the lease end was within the time limits for the time on the computer

Re the privacy on Chrome when you get there have you got a
Manage Certificates
entry
This is what I had said above: The lease was obtained 10:23:59 am and expires on 2:23:59 pm Thursday Oct 21. The time on my clock when I did this was 12:12pm. So, is the time on my clock supposed to be between the 2 times from the report in the command prompt? Maybe that is what you meant.

No, I cannot find a Manage Certificates entry in Chrome in Privacy. I looked for it.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This is what I had said above: The lease was obtained 10:23:59 am and expires on 2:23:59 pm Thursday Oct 21. The time on my clock when I did this was 12:12pm. So, is the time on my clock supposed to be between the 2 times from the report in the command prompt? Maybe that is what you meant.
Yes as I said on my post regarding the lease times

perhaps I mislead you by not including the words clock time for "before the current clock time

However yours is OK and it is a matter of little importance now as Iam convinced the problem is either the browser or as I said Avast

Is AVAST the FREE edition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online