Clock Error

elsb

Yes as I said on my post regarding the lease times

perhaps I mislead you by not including the words clock time for "before the current clock time

However yours is OK and it is a matter of little importance now as Iam convinced the problem is either the browser or as I said Avast

Is AVAST the FREE edition
OK. Now i understand what you meant about the times. Thanks.

Yes the free Avast edition that supports XP. It's version 18.8.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try the addition to the shortcut target
However be aware as I said that this is NOT a solution - only a test to see if I am correct
You cannot even if it works use that for other then the test

elsb

Try the addition to the shortcut target
However be aware as I said that this is NOT a solution - only a test to see if I am correct
You cannot even if it works use that for other then the test
Hi - I didn't do the addition to the shortcut target yet. I did contact Avast again, and they suggested removing the avast software and reinstalling to see if that may clear this up.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi - I didn't do the addition to the shortcut target yet. I did contact Avast again, and they suggested removing the avast software and reinstalling to see if that may clear this up.
An improvement on your first contact with them
I contacted Avast way before starting this thread on Tech guys. Avast seems to be at a loss for what this could be.
Cheers
Good luck with it

Last edited:

elsb

Try the suggestion I made
This one?
  1. Close Google-Chrome, then right-click on the launching executable/shortcut. Then choose Properties.
  2. Once you’re inside the Google Chrome Properties screen, select the Shortcut tab from the horizontal menu at the top.
  3. Inside the Shortcut tab, add the following command at the very end of the Target text box:
  4. --ignore-certificate-errors
  5. Click on Apply to save the changes, then launch Chrome

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes

elsb

Very Good
Pleased they sorted it
Me too - that was a long haul. And now you know the solution in case it happens to anyone else. Thank you so much for the time you spent trying to figure this out. I appreciate it a lot!!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As I said on post 41
After much research I think I have found the cause

It is complicated to explain in detail

The problem is - I think that Chrome is not recognising the trusted root certificate from websites.
Me too - that was a long haul. And now you know the solution in case it happens to anyone else. Thank you so much for the time you spent trying to figure this out. I appreciate it a lot!!
It is unlikely that the issue will be raised again, but of course one never knows.
Most people have realised that XP, because it is so outdated, has reached the end of its useful life and using it to browse the net is so full of risks that it is just not worthwhile.

However that all said, as I mentioned I am pleased Avast sorted it for you, I would not have know where to obtain the certificate
What I do not know is its security implications if any

elsb

As I said on post 41

It is unlikely that the issue will be raised again, but of course one never knows.
Most people have realised that XP, because it is so outdated, has reached the end of its useful life and using it to browse the net is so full of risks that it is just not worthwhile.

However that all said, as I mentioned I am pleased Avast sorted it for you, I would not have know where to obtain the certificate
What I do not know is its security implications if any
I sent Avast a msg re: security implications of that certificate. I will check into the 2 browsers that Plodr mentioned. Plodr also mentioned a 2019 Security update. I went to the website, but am unsure which update to use. There are 3 for XP.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I will try once more to explain the situation to you
AVAST
For Avast Premium Security, Avast Free Antivirus, and Avast Omni:
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
  • Windows 11 except Mixed Reality and IoT Edition; Windows 10 except Mobile and IoT Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 8/8.1 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 7 SP1 with Convenient Rollup Update, any Edition (32 or 64-bit)
IMPORTANT: Avast Antivirus is not supported (is not compatible, cannot be installed, and will not run) on DOS, Microsoft Windows editions earlier than Windows 7

The fact that your AVAST is running is irrelevant - it is NOT supported by AVAST and I cannot undestand why AVAST support did not tell you this - if they did indeed not.

From Avast site October 2018
Beginning this January, Avast products will no longer update Windows XP and Vista OS with new security features.
Avast cybersecurity products will officially stop updating our antivirus product for Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems as of January 1, 2019. The demand to protect those systems has substantially waned in recent years at the same time that the need to protect Windows 7 systems and later has grown. We recommend that all Avast users update their Windows operating systems to the latest version of Windows 10 — not only to continue enjoying the newest Avast security upgrades, but also to eliminate the likelihood that the vulnerable older system you are currently using will get exploited.

Older system users who have not updated will continue to be protected by the corresponding older versions of our security products, even receiving virus definition updates, but they will not benefit from the newest programs and features. If you have any questions about this End of Support notice, just reach out to Avast Support for answers.

See the link from which these are taken.
Avast discontinues support for Windows XP & Vista | Avast

=======================================
So in summary the fact is that the OS is not supported by Microsoft and neither is it supported by AVAST and you can be certain that AVAST will not include in their virus definition updates - protection for security holes in XP - they will only update their definitions for risks across the newer OS

=====================
This LEAVES YOU - wide open to security risks and if by chance YOU are using XP for any financial transactions on the internet you leave yourself wide open to risk.

Please be assured that it is time to move on -

That is not to say that you cannot continue as my colleague Plodr has mentioned she does
So you are not secure when you take XP on the internet. (We have two XP computers in the house; neither goes on the internet.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online