Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock Error

8K views 60 replies 7 participants last post by  elsb 
#1 ·
When I try to open websites, I get a Clock Error. Have tried everything listed online in ref to this issue, but so far nothing has worked. Using Chrome and Firefox. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Have tried everything listed online in ref to this issue, but so far nothing has worked.
If you have truly tried every possible fix known in the world, then I don't think anyone can offer any assistance. If you think you may have missed something, please tell us what you have already tried, and maybe someone here may suggest a new solution to try.

In addition to checking the computer's time settings, also make sure you have the date set correctly.

#8 ·
Hi - Tried these:
- Manually changed date and time
- Changed time zone to a different zone. then changed it back to correct time zone.
- Changed the internet time server to each option and then changed back. Set up to automatically synchronize with the internet time server.
Cleared Cache
Only think I did not do yet is replace the CMOS battery in the mother board.

Time and date are set correctly.
Thank you!

#5 ·
#9 ·
Did you try installing an alternate clock?
https://perishablepress.com/how-to-fix-the-wonky-windows-xp-clock/

The only up to date browser that works on XP is MyPal.
https://www.mypal-browser.org/

Chrome stopped supporting XP in 2016.
Firefox stopped supporting XP with version 52.9 ESR which came out in 2018.

Sites would be showing an error like "you are using an outdated browser".
So you should not be going online in XP using Chrome nor Firefox.
Thanks for those suggestions. Will try them.

#14 ·
Here are some instructions.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-System-Restore-in-Windows-XP

Things of note first though:

Do not do this in safe mode or it can't be undone.

This will not affect your files like documents, photos or music but you will lose any programs you may have installed since the restore point you choose to go back to.

If the date you chose doesn't fix it then use the option to undo the restore to bring it back the way it was before selecting another date to go back to.

#15 ·
Oh, I wouldn't do it in safe mode. I read that it would be good to run the antivirus checker in safe mode though in case a virus is hidden. Have not done that though. No programs have been installed lately. I did change one setting on the antivirus program tho. My husband is going to replace the motherboard battery over the weekend, so maybe I will wait till after that to do a restore. Hoping the battery might fix it? We shall see. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll let you know what happens.

#19 ·
I tried the system restore. Tried 3 different dates. The error message was that the system cannot be restored to those dates. All the dates were viable ones - ie they were in bold on the calendar. I went back 4 weeks at first,, then 3 1;/2 and then 3 weeks. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts on why this is not working? THANK YOU!

#22 ·
On post 6 where you included your screenshot that states the date and time - what was the error in your date and time compared with the time shown.
I presume at this stage you will not know that detail, so when you reply please state
1. The date and time at your location
2. The date and time shown on your desktop taskbar

#27 ·
On post 6 where you included your screenshot that states the date and time - what was the error in your date and time compared with the time shown.
I presume at this stage you will not know that detail, so when you reply please state
1. The date and time at your location
2. The date and time shown on your desktop taskbar
1:50pm and 1:50pm. Oct 14 2021 It's been the same when I have checked it. Thanks!

#23 ·
I found 2 possible reasons: the Daylight time is wrong in XP (there was a fix for this) or because XP only synchronizes every 7 days, you might want to force it to sync more often.

I am leaning towards a Daylight Savings Time issue.
This is probably the last Time Zone update and doesn't affect you in WI but it won't hurt to install it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-systems-0acd4e36-9248-89b9-63aa-e54ab7ae6b08

The US goes back on Standard Time at 2am on November 7th. You could wait and see if the clock fixes itself.

#26 ·
I found 2 possible reasons: the Daylight time is wrong in XP (there was a fix for this) or because XP only synchronizes every 7 days, you might want to force it to sync more often.

I am leaning towards a Daylight Savings Time issue.
This is probably the last Time Zone update and doesn't affect you in WI but it won't hurt to install it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-systems-0acd4e36-9248-89b9-63aa-e54ab7ae6b08

The US goes back on Standard Time at 2am on November 7th. You could wait and see if the clock fixes itself.
Thanks. It's been going on over 2 weeks now. I will install that update. Hopefully something works.

#24 · (Edited)
Plodr
That is what I was thinking on the difference and why I asked for confirmation of both times
I will leave the issue with you

#30 ·
1. How are you connected and is it to a secure network
2. IF you are connected secure network and not using some open unsecure connection then follow as below IN the order shown.

• Sometimes the third-party plugins to your browser you installed can create issues. Try disabling one by one and once you find out the plugin that is causing the issue, remove it.
  • Clear cache files and the browsing history on your Chrome browser. To do so, click the menu icon, go to History, and select "Clear browsing data."
  • Delete your Chrome browser and re-install it. Sometimes, it solves the issue.

#31 ·
Hi- I have Frontier Communications for an ISP (for many years). I use a router provided by them. Yes, it is secure as far as I know. I am not sure how to check 3rd party plug ins, but can search how to do that. I did clear cache more than once already. I am concerned about deleting the browser and reinstalling cause I don't want to lose all my settings. And am using 49.0 so not sure if that version is available. Appreciate your continued help!

#32 ·
STEP 1- Launch Chrome browser and hit the (three-horizontal dots) icon on the upper-right corner.

STEP 2- Click on the option: New Incognito Window!

STEP 3- Start browsing privately!

That will disable all extensions - add-ons

#33 ·
After you have tried the above go to a cmd prompt and type
ipconfig /all
press enter
on the results
look please for
lease obtained and lease expired
as per my example
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 October 2021 11:34:59
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 October 2021 11:34:59
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . .
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . :
C:\windows\system32>

I have deleted various info from my results but you need to check that the lease times are obtained BEFORE the current time and EXPIRES after the current time

#35 ·
After you have tried the above go to a cmd prompt and type
ipconfig /all
press enter
on the results
look please for
lease obtained and lease expired
as per my example
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 October 2021 11:34:59
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 October 2021 11:34:59
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . .
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . :
C:\windows\system32>

I have deleted various info from my results but you need to check that the lease times are obtained BEFORE the current time and EXPIRES after the current time
Hi - My command prompt window is cut off on the right so I cannot see everything. The window will not copy and paste. The two dates are the same Thur Oct 21 2021 . The times listed were 8:23:59am. and 12:23:59 (there was no am or pm after this rtime cause the screen was cut off)

#36 ·
#37 ·
A bit off topic: You are using an OS that hasn't been patched since April 8, 2014 with one exception. (A special patch was issued for XP on May 9, 2019 because it was a serious hole.)
You are using a browser that came out in March 2016 and is unpatched.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_version_history

So you are not secure when you take XP on the internet. (We have two XP computers in the house; neither goes on the internet.)

At the very least, get a browser that works on XP and is actively being patched.

Slimjet Web Browser, which is based on Chromium and continues to support XP and Vista.
https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

or MyPal (similar to Firefox)
https://www.mypal-browser.org/

#38 ·
Indeed and re the browser as you mentioned in post 5.
However as unsatisfactory as the use of XP is from many aspects I do not think - any of them are the cause of this problem

#41 ·
After much research I think I have found the cause

It is complicated to explain in detail

The problem is - I think that Chrome is not recognising the trusted root certificate from websites.
The message that the clock is ahead is as you know NOT the correct message

The incorrect message is displayed - most likely because of Chrome being out of date itself

The problem I think can be seen if on Chrome you follow this

1. Open your Google Chrome first.
  2. Then click on the Setting option from the main menu.
  3. In the Privacy and security section, click on Security.
  4. Find the Manage Certificates option in the middle of the page and click on it.
When the window opens and you click the heading trusted root certificates you will NOT find one for Vitacom in itself
but I think it is those certificates that are causing the error

IT MAYBE that you have to try another browser as suggested by my colleague
OR you MAY find that AVAST is the problem

Be extremely careful you only go to trusted sites but try disabling avast

As a last resort and AT YOUR OWN RISK try this
It is ONLY to see if I am correct NOT a solution

1. Close Google-Chrome, then right-click on the launching executable/shortcut. Then choose Properties.
  2. Once you're inside the Google Chrome Properties screen, select the Shortcut tab from the horizontal menu at the top.
  3. Inside the Shortcut tab, add the following command at the very end of the Target text box:
  4. --ignore-certificate-errors
  5. Click on Apply to save the changes, then launch Chrome

#42 ·
After much research I think I have found the cause

It is complicated to explain in detail

The problem is - I think that Chrome is not recognising the trusted root certificate from websites.
The message that the clock is ahead is as you know NOT the correct message

The incorrect message is displayed - most likely because of Chrome being out of date itself

The problem I think can be seen if on Chrome you follow this

1. Open your Google Chrome first.
  2. Then click on the Setting option from the main menu.
  3. In the Privacy and security section, click on Security.
  4. Find the Manage Certificates option in the middle of the page and click on it.
When the window opens and you click the heading trusted root certificates you will NOT find one for Vitacom in itself
but I think it is those certificates that are causing the error

IT MAYBE that you have to try another browser as suggested by my colleague
OR you MAY find that AVAST is the problem

Be extremely careful you only go to trusted sites but try disabling avast

As a last resort and AT YOUR OWN RISK try this
It is ONLY to see if I am correct NOT a solution

1. Close Google-Chrome, then right-click on the launching executable/shortcut. Then choose Properties.
  2. Once you're inside the Google Chrome Properties screen, select the Shortcut tab from the horizontal menu at the top.
  3. Inside the Shortcut tab, add the following command at the very end of the Target text box:
Hi - thanks for the explanation. What about the time being off from the command prompt reporting to the actual time on my computer (as stated above)? Is there a way to correct that?

When I go to settings in Chrome, there is only a 'Privacy' section with an option to click on 'content settings' (which I did). I do not see certificates in that listing at all.

I contacted Avast way before starting this thread on Tech guys. Avast seems to be at a loss for what this could be. My first thought after the issues started happening was that it could be an Avast issue. Just not sure what to check in the Avast settings. I spent time looking at them (at the time) , but didn't see anything.

I did not try the ignore certificates option yet. But will let you know when I do try it. THANK YOU!!

#47 ·
Try the addition to the shortcut target
However be aware as I said that this is NOT a solution - only a test to see if I am correct
You cannot even if it works use that for other then the test

#51 ·
Try the suggestion I made

#52 ·
This one?

#53 ·
Hi - I didn't do the addition to the shortcut target yet. I did contact Avast again, and they suggested removing the avast software and reinstalling to see if that may clear this up.
Yes

#55 ·
Very Good
Pleased they sorted it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.