1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clock losing ½ hr daily ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackpyle2, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackpyle2

jackpyle2 Thread Starter

My EPOX EP-8KTA3+ Board has a utility that tells the voltage values that the board is producing. It has always reported that the 2.5V was too low at 1.54V. I never paid any attention since everything was working perfectly. Then recently I noticed that my computer’s clock started losing about 30 minutes every day. So I replaced the ‘battery’ on the motherboard. I checked again after adding the new battery and the very next day I still had lost 30 minutes off the clock ? Any ideas what else can make the computer’s clock lose time other than the battery ?

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

The values you see are for the processor. The MB battery is a 3v watch battery. Is this Win98? Win98 has issues with keeping time.

3. jackpyle2

jackpyle2 Thread Starter

It's Win98 SE. I've had the same Epox board keeping perfect time for the past couple years until recently. And I've gotten the same report about the voltage being too low on the 2.5V side for 2 years as well. Just recently I find the clock is losing time on a regular basis. I lost 30 minutes during the last 24 hrs ?

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Do you have any other wierd stuff going on? Stuff like icons changing, or programs not opening, or anything? Make any changes to your computer be it hardware or software about the time this started to happen? When you changed the CMOS battery on the motherboard, did you go into the BIOS and set the system clock from there?

5. mad-martin

mad-martin

there are programs that will keep your clock up to date for you
    http://www.atomicpcclock.com/downloads.html is one of many.
    Though it will keep your clock on the right time, it doesnt really 'solve' the problem :)

6. jackpyle2

jackpyle2 Thread Starter

The clock is set the same in the BIOS as Windows and I always set my clock perfectly using an Atomic Clock website and program.
    One recent hardware/software change I made that corresponds to this new "CLOCK" problem; is that I added a new D-Link Wireless NIC card and software so that I could receive the wireless signals from my Linksys router in the other room which gives access to the Internet through my RoadRunner service.
    Everything on my computer seems to be working perfectly (excepting the clock) other than a strange new 'magnetic' sensation with my 'mouse pointer'. It feels like my mouse is 'hot tracking' but it's not. As I drag the mouse it seems to inadvertently 'stick' for a 1/4 second here and there or slow down.
    It's not the fault of the mouse hardware or software; as I've experimented by exchanging a wireless mouse (Logitech) for my MS Explorer mouse, also exchanging the different softwares. Both of the mice behaved in the same errant manner !?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice