1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clock Malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by united red, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. united red

united red Thread Starter

Suddenly the clock on my computer is showing thw wrong time & sometimes date. I have tried manually changing to the right time & date & also synchronising with timewindows.com. But each time I boot up the computer, the time is again wrong. My son suggested that the battery on the motherboard might be running out. Help!!!

2. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    could be ...
    replacing the CMOS battery means powering down the machine, (ground yourself) open the case, find out which type of battery sits on your motherboard, (shiny disc size) buy another, (low priced). replace the old with the new coin sized, battery.

carefully lifted out and clips back in

other reasons is the time zone (win7 fix)
    Right-click the system clock in your taskbar and select > Adjust date/time. Under the headline > Time Zone check whether the information is correct. If not, click the > Change time zone… button and set your time zone. Don’t forget to confirm your changes and you’re all set.

the last possibility could be malware but see how the first two go first. from link:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons-windows-computer-loses-time-date/

3. united red

united red Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have tried changing the time zone/ time date, but it didn't last past closing the computer down. The next time I booted it up, the time was wrong again. However, my son came today & changed the battery on the motherboard & low & behold, it now works fine. Thanks for the help.

4. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    great news,
    thanks for replying to let us know

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1169761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice