1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clock read error causing boot failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peredhil, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peredhil

Peredhil Thread Starter

Hi there folks!

So, I'm playing on the compy, having fun, when all of a sudden it gets real sluggish for a while (immediately after opening Steam, to be exact), runs for a bit, then BSoDs. I, being the silly person I am, did not get the code, thought "Hmmm... that's odd." and rebooted. Upon doing so, the boot sequence read the processor speed and then stopped, I assume hanging on the Auto Clock Speed detection for the CPU or RAM.
    Confused, I reset the BIOS using the jumper, and got it to read all that stuff just fine, memory check, although it was only reading 500Mb instead of 1Gb, and then threw me an error reading -
    Warning! CPU has been changed or CPU Ratio change fail.
    Please reenter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!

Being the obedient user I am, I complied, and it did the same crash thing as before. I then proceeded to try every possible setting I could think of for CPU clock speed, DRAM clock, etc. (I didn't mess much with the advanced manual settings, since they are absolutely beyond my knowledge, but the basic ones got all played with) and was eventually able to get the thing to boot by leaving "CPU Clock" on Auto, setting "DRAM clock" to 100Mhz (apparently the default), and disabling "Auto Detect PCI/DIMM clock".

This is the only way I have been able to get it to advance past the original error, and I have completely left my area of knowledge with this one.

My machine is running an MSI PM8M-V board, 3Ghz Pentium 3 Prescott, 1 1Gb Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 RAM chip, and Windows XP Pro SP2

To my knowledge, I have the most recent firmware and BIOS updates. I'm not sure exactly what info y'all need to diagnose this, so if there's anymore info that might help I'd be happy to throw it up here. I have yet to run a RAM test (I know... bad, bad user) so if you think that's a likely cause I can try it and see.

Thanks in advance.

2. Peredhil

Peredhil Thread Starter

Aight, few more updates to note.
    I tried swapping the RAM over to an alternate slot on the motherboard, same problem. So I'm guessing that the issue is not which slot the RAM is in. Figured that would be the case since it ran fine before, but figured what the heck.
    Also, I finally downloaded and ran Memtest 86+, and it checked out as A-Ok, but it also thinks for some reason that I have only 512 Mb of RAM and not 1Gb.

Do you think that there is any realistic solution other than replacing the RAM with new stuff? I'd love to hope that there's some obvious and simple point I'm missing, but I'm getting to the point of doubting that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/727993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice