1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clone hard drive (warning - noobie)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sox, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sox

sox Thread Starter

beings everything is working perfectly now, i would like to make an exact copy of my hard drive. i do have access to an external usb hard drive enclosure where i could slide in a new hard drive for transferring and storing the clone. 1st question - which program is easiest for a novice?......(presently wondering about drive image and norton ghost.) 2nd question - do the hard drives have to match exactly (gbs, speeds, brands etc) when making the clone? with hard drives being so reasonably priced these days, i would like to be able just to remove the "bad" one and slide in the clone to get me up and running again - then later i can reformat the "bad" one and use it for the clone. i am running windows xp pro - 120gb hard drive with two partitions.....thanks in advance for your response!

2. putasolution

putasolution

I personally recommend Drive Image, but there are those who will recommend Ghost

To see how really easy it is, have a look here at the Drive Image Tutorials

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can use GHOST to exactly clone your disk, however you need to include the command line parameter -fdsp if you are cloning a W2K or WXP boot drive. This prevents GHOST from scrambling the page file and preventing the copy from booting. You can also GHOST to a different sized disk on the fly, and even adjust the sizes of individual partitions during the clone operation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice