1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clone HDD -=WITH=- The Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by memoryinmotion, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. memoryinmotion

memoryinmotion Thread Starter

It's late as I write this - so I hope someone out there can help.

I am commissioned with the task of cloning a hard drive with a recovery partition (HP). So far everything has failed.

We're going from a 200 GB Western Digital to a 160 GB Seagate, and a number of freebies refuse to clone to a smaller drive.

The trial version of Acronis True Image cloned nicely, but there is no way to stimulate the restore partition to invoke using HP's F10 key. The owner of this computer has deemed this necessary.

So far I have tried:

Drive Image XML - This thing was 19% complete after over two hours, and this timeframe is not not acceptable.

CloneMaxx - doesn't do SATA (I forgot to mention, this is a SATA operation)

Clonezilla - fell into a failure loop

CloneHD - I forgot now - it may have been the one that refused to clone to a smaller drive.

I've been at this now for fourteen hours, so I really can't enumerate all the products I've tried.

Thank you very much in advance.

MiM

2. jdean

jdean

Don't have any experience with recovery partitions, but Casper XP would be the first program that I'd try for this job. Hope it works for you!

3. memoryinmotion

memoryinmotion Thread Starter

I won't have time to try that tonight, after reading the disclaimer: It will fill the entire partition with the active partition (effectively using the entire disk) - and while this is fine for testing purposes, It's not going to solve this problem in 9 hours.

I have downloaded it to test in the future.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!