1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clone moniter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by namo, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. namo

namo Thread Starter

I have HP DV4-1199ee laptop with windows 7. I tried to connect my laptop to TV using VGA to RCA converter. I can connect the TV as a extension monitor but if I choose clone monitor, the video output in the TV is with random lines. What is the reason?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is your VGA to RCA converter just a cable with different plugs on each end or some kind of scan converter box?

If it is just a cable, those cables are made for use only with video controllers that can support switching the normal Red, Green, Blue, H&V sync operating mode to composite TV video mode. You need to check the specifications of your laptop to see if it has the ability and how to make it switch modes.

EDIT: If you have a video converter box, you may need to make sure that the Red, Green, Blue, H&V sync resolution and timing of the computer's VGA output is compatible with the converter's input range.

3. namo

namo Thread Starter

It is device converter from VGA to RCA not just a cable and work with any computer
    [​IMG]
    I said that it works when I choose extend monitor but not clone.

4. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

It could just be a mismatched resolution. If your monitor is set to 1280x800 and your tv can only handle 720x480, then it may not display properly. You could try to lower your resolution and see if that fixes it.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your original, "I can connect the TV as a extension monitor ..." statement sounded to me that you only had the cables connected but did not make clear that it worked correctly.

I would have to agree with namo, your adapter box may have a limited range of video resolutions and refresh rates and may not support the cloned mode video format.

6. namo

namo Thread Starter

I mean I can connect the TV as a secondary monitor. Any thing that I move to the right appears in the TV.

I can use the device to clone montor in the desktop because there is VGA input and output in the device. But the laptop has its own monitor.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    That sounds contradictory to me. First you say there are problems when you clone and then you say you can do it.

If I go with your original statements in the first post ...

When you extend the desktop workspace to the external monitor, you can probably set the resolution to different values than what is used on the laptop screen. In this mode, you can probably find a resolution that is compatible with the video converter.

When you clone the desktop to the external monitor, the resolution of the VGA output matches the resolution of the laptop's screen. It is possible that the laptop's screen resolution is not compatible with resolution input range of the converter.

In this case, some of your choices are ...

1) Change the resolution of the laptop's display to something that will work with the adapter. This may make things on the laptop's display to appear less sharp.

2) Get a different adapter that will accept the given output resolution and still convert to TV resolution.

3) Live with it and use the external display as an extension of the desktop rather than a clone of the desktop screen.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice