1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clone SSD to SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cyberpac9, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

My OS is on a smallish SSD and it does not have much space. I got a great deal on a much larger SSD that I'd like to move everything over to. I'm looking for free, and simple, ways to accomplish this.

I've tried EaseUS Backup with no success. I am able to create the image and then restore it. However, I am unable to boot to the new SSD. I've actually been working with their support team to get it resolved, but it's taking a very long time to get anywhere.

Since the new SSD is larger, I don't have any concerns about space or shrinking the image. I just need everything moved over. What about this tutorial, using Macrium as the cloning tool? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install-transfer-operating-system.html

Any other suggestions? I don't need bells and whistles, just something to get my new SSD up and running.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

when you say Easeus backup
    Easeus TODO clone - free edition has not failed me yet
    Disk clone

Migrate or copy all the data on a hard disk partition or GPT disk to another to upgrade hard drive without reinstalling operating systems and applications.

It may be what you were using the TODO but there is a backup as well as a CLONE and clone is what you need

clone from source to destination - HOWEVER do NOT restart computer with both source and destination connected.
    AND connect what was destination to the same port that the source disk was in

3. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I am using TODO backup, free version. (http://www.easeus.com/download/free-software.html)

I did a remote session with their support - selected backup (which backed up my C drive to an external drive), disconnected C drive, booted to WinPE, restored backup to new SSD, rebooted and got an error.

The free TODO backup does have a clone option. Is that what you're using? Wondering if I use the Clone option on the free version of TODO, clone C to new SSD, shutdown, connect new SSD to the same port the C (old SSD) was connected to. I might have to try that.

If I do that (and for simplicities sake, let's say Old_SSD was port 1, New_SSD was port 2), I move New_SSD to port 1, will I be able to connect Old_SSD to port 2 and wipe it clean so that I can actually use that disc again?

4. Macboatmaster

Yes you want the clone not the backup
    Withy the backup image it will not boot as if you look at Disk Management you will I think see that you have the system partition

Safest way is to connect old SSD - USB
    NOT of course until you have checked all is OK

5. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

OK, I'm going to try the clone option tonight, move my connectors around to switch old to the new port, reboot and keep old SSD sitting here for a few days to make sure everything is fine.

I'll need to get an adapter to connect to USB (used to have one but not sure whatever happened to it).

6. Macboatmaster

OK As I say I have used it twice myself and three times for other people
    What you need to check is this
    [​IMG]

as shown you are cloning the disk eg disk 0
    to the destination eg. disk 1.
    NOT the C partition on disk 0

All being well when you then connect the destination disk to the SATA port that the original SOUCE disk was in - all will be exactly the same even the drive letters allocated

7. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Perfect! *That's* what I was expecting with the backup (per their support). I'll give clone a go and keep my fingers crossed. :D

8. Macboatmaster

9. Macboatmaster

10. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I just went back to the thread I started with EaseUS asking questions about my clone (I now think it's because I did not move new SSD to the original port of the old SSD). They told me to do the backup. In fact, did a screenshare with them last night and walked through the process and was instructed to do backup.

I'm doing the clone again, which I originally wanted to do. :D

11. Macboatmaster

Well I cannot see why they Easeus went for backup rather than clone
    I can however see why if it was not in the same port

if you have any problems I am here until 0100 UK time and back about 1900 UK time tomorrow

12. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Not sure about my timing, but I will update this thread. Thanks a ton for your assistance.

13. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    The thanks is nice - can I place it in the reserved tray until it works

14. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Sure. :) But I have confidence.

15. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

OK, got the same result I got last time:

I get an error that says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem" do a repair. The status message is 0xc000000e and it has an info message of "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice