1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloned SSD to new SSD OK but new SSD crashes during BOOT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MisterEd51, Feb 25, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. MisterEd51

MisterEd51 Thread Starter

I cloned my existing SSD to a new larger SSD OK. However, the new SSD always crashes during boot. It started to load Windows 10 but after maybe 20 seconds it blue screens with the error message "Inaccessible Boot Device".

Cloning software: Acronis True Image 2018 (paid version).
    Method 1: Cloning in Acronis menu (Windows 10)
    Method 2: Cloning in Acronis Rescue Media menu (USB)

Drive Source: Samsung 960 EVO 500G (M.2)

With it I tried the following four hardware combinations:

Drive Destination:
    #1: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB (M.2)
    #2: Intel 660P 2TB (M.2)

Enclosures:
    #1 Plugable USB C to M.2 NVMe Tool-free Enclosure USB C and Thunderbolt 3
    #2 TDBT SuperC M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure with USB C

=======================================================

Note: I had to get the system going so I had to reinstall Windows 10 Pro on the new XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB drive. I still would like to clone the old drive to a new one if possible.

Current system information:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200222204851.000000-360
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 16
    Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Hard Drives (internal): C: 1907 GB (1664 GB Free); D: 931 GB (302 GB Free); E: 449 GB (158 GB Free); F: 1100 GB (86 GB Free); G: 312 GB (98 GB Free)
    Hard Drives (external): I: 5589 GB (1247 GB Free); J: 1862 GB (264 GB Free)
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X370-PRO, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 170295423700099
    System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
    Antivirus: Malwarebytes Premium

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I presume after the clone, you did not attempt to boot until the destination drive was in the M2 slot and that was the boot device in UEFI and of course the original source drive was NOT installed

I suggest the following
    1. You should disable or totally uninstall Malwarebytes during the cloning process

2. Presuming that the partition lettered C is the 2TB Adata XPG and the rest of that 2TB drive is the unlettered partitions of that drive, Not of course knowing what all the other lettered drives are - eg. actual drives or merely partitions on another drive, you should if you are going to attempt the clone again TAKE out/disconnect all drives except the original Samsung EVO M2 and when you are cloning the new destination drive
    ALL other external drives should also be disconnected.

3. The report inaccessible boot device indicates that either -
    a. The clone of the unlettered partitions has not been successful and therefore there is no boot partition
    As you may know windows 10 on UEFI boots from the FAT partition, which contains and is often the boot in the UEFI firmware setup, the Windows Boot Manager.
    b. The boot selected choice in UEFI does not include the FAT partition one new drive
    c. Other settings have been changed.

The likely cause is A. and the probable cause of that is the wrong setting in Acronis or the Malwarebytes.

4. I know there are many followers of Acronis
    I personally and it is only my opinion have found it too complicated and indeed IMHO less reliable than the one I use
    Macrium

5. Acronis 2018
    and did you use this cloning mode
    because if you did NOT that is another reason you could receive that error

5. I mentioned before Macrium
    If you still fail with Acronis I recommend you try it

http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/user_guide/macrium_reflect_v7_2_user_guide.pdf?src=sidebar

and download
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

or 30 day trial of home edition 7
    https://www.macrium.com/products/home

It has not failed me and I have used it a few times
    I previously used Easeus but I now prefer Macrium

Finally on this link
    https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Cloning+a+disk

First image on page is shown the FAT partition from which windows commences it boot procedure when control is handed from the UEFI post process to the Windows boot manager
    If that is not cloned THEN most certainly that is the cause of your problem,

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  3. MisterEd51

I disconnected all internal drives and external drives.
    I put Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB (M.2) into NVME M.2 slot on motherboard.
    I put Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (M.2) into external enclosure and plugged it into USB.
    I put Acronis Rescue into USB.

This didn't help at all. The new SSD still crashes during boot.

It is possible there is some problem with the partitions on the Samsung SSD.

I will give Macrium a try. If that does not work I might have to give up.

Notes:
    The Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (M.2) sill boots OK if I plug into the motherboard.
    I have a backup of the Windows 10 Pro I installed on the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB (M.2) a couple of days ago. I will go back to it if all else fails. That just means I have to install a lot of programs and games again.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have never been a fan of using an enclosure to do a clone. What I would do in this situation is to make an image of the old drive. If your old drive is MFT, you should convert to GPT prior to making the image. This can be done without destroying all data on the drive however it does take a reasonable level of skill. If your old drive is already GPT, then disregard. Store the image on an external ie usb, NAS, whatever. Shutdown and pull the old drive, install the new drive. Boot the system with the acronis boot usb and restore the image to the new drive.

Note when doing the above, you will at first see your new drive as only the size of the old drive. The rest of the drive will be unallocated. This is a very simple fix in disk management; just extend the drive into the unallocated area and you are done.

For ALL cloning, imaging, etc I always recommend using the acronis boot usb. IMO this removes windows from the task and is MUCH more reliable.
    In fact I do not even install acronis on any of my systems; I just use the boot usb to make backup images.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. Since you have attempted multiple clones to the new drive, I would secure erase the new drive prior to doing anything.
    Note some high end motherboards have a utility built into the bios for just this task. If you do not have a board with this option, most ssd mfg have software to do a secure erase of a drive.
    Note secure erase is NOT a format; it is a command issued to the drive's controller. This will put the drive in the same state as when new [excepting for physical wear of the memory]

6. MisterEd51

I gave Macrium rescue disk a try. No change. The disk crashes during boot.
    A couple days ago I restored an Acronis backup image of the the Samsung 960 EVO to the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB. Same result.
    To see if the problem is with the Samsung 960 EVO I am going to try an experiment.
    I am going to clone the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB (M.2) to an Intel 660P 2TB (M.2).

7. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    You did check Macrium as I mentioned I presume for
    exact copy of partitions with rest of space unllocated
    as against allocate all space to partitions

8. MisterEd51

Yes I tried that and the default option of expanding the partition to target size. It made no difference.

For now I am going to have accept the fact that I won't be able to clone the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB. I have been working on rebuilding my Windows 10 system on the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB. By the end of the week I should be where I was with my old system.

When I originally built the computer three years ago I underestimated how many programs I would be installing on it. I eventually ran out of space on the 500 GB boot drive. I added a spare 1 TB WD Blue hard drive to allow for more programs to be installed. I already had a 2TB WD Black hard drive in the system but I wanted to only use it for data. When I am satisfied with the system rebuild I may remove the 1 TB WD Blue hard drive since it will no longer be needed. Also, when I run Crystal Disk Info on the 1 TB WD Blue hard drive I get the warnings: Current Pending Sector Count & Uncorrectable Sector Count.

9. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  10. Macboatmaster

I would not rely too much Crystal disk until you have verified it with either a windows chkdsk or indeed a Western Digital check
    https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6226

11. MisterEd51

Western Digital LifeGuard Diagnostics

Model Number: WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0

Test Option: QUICK TEST
    Test Result: FAIL
    Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
    Test Result: FAIL
    Test Error Code: 08-Unable to repair bad sectors.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well, you have your answer; that drive is failing. The blue drives from WD are pretty low end drives; only a 2yr warranty. If you are going to replace the drive, go with a black series drive; 5yr warranty, dual motor supports, and dual processors. In short a much better quality drive.

13. Macboatmaster

I agree
    At least as I said you now have confirmation of the situation
    I have seen reports of Crystal disk reporting errors when other utilities have reported all OK

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I have had drive failures from ALL mfg; WD, Seagate, Maxtor however I have never had a WD black or raptor drive fail. On one build [for in-laws] a black 640gig drive is still going after 12yr.

15. MisterEd51

One of the reasons I replaced the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (M.2) with the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB (M.2) is so I could have all my programs installed on one drive instead of two. I was hoping to do this easily by cloning the Samsung 960 EVO drive to the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro drive but I was never able to do this successfully.

After the cloning was done I would one by one uninstall the programs on the Western Digital Blue 1TB hard drive and reinstall them on the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB. Once this was done I would permanently remove this hard drive from my computer.

The other internal hard drive on my computer is a Western Digital Black 2TB hard drive. I use this as my data drive. I have an external Western Digital My Book 6TB hard drive for backups.

BTW, after I built this computer I realized the the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB drive would not be big enough for all my programs. I had a new Western Digital Blue 1TB hard drive that I was not using so I added it to my computer. I only had this drive because I had bought two of them for spares a few months before this.
    My other desktop computer had two Seagate Barracuda hard drives fail within six months so I decided to replace them with Western Digital ones.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice