1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning a drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by clarks, Nov 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. clarks

clarks Thread Starter

Is it possible to clone the hard drive of an older computer and use it on a new computer?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16366 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (806 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1840 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0Y2MRG
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes; depends on what you want to do with it.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    NO ... only for the same computer

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can use a drive from an old system on a new system however you cannot use the operating system ie windows from the old system on the new system.

5. clarks

clarks Thread Starter

I want all programs up and running no reinstall of programs.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not going to happen;
    1 The drivers for the old system are still installed
    2 Windows will not be activated with different hardware
    3 If the old system was a dell, hp, etc, you need a new windows lic or key

There is a procedure to do exactly what you want and a guide at the top of the forum however do understand that you still need a new windows key or lic.
    If you follow ALL steps of the guide, the system will boot however you still have the problem of a key.

7. britekguy

britekguy

Then the answer is no, at least if we're talking about Windows 10 and wanting that instance and all its programs to be activated.

The license for Windows 10 is linked to the motherboard of the machine on which said license was initially installed. A cloned drive transplanted into different hardware, even if that hardware is a twin of the original, will still not be dealing with the same motherboard so Windows 10 will not be activated/licensed there.

There is also the complication regarding how the installed programs are licensed for use. If it's on any single machine, and the old machine had been scrapped or the programs are not allowed to remain installed and running on the old machine, then you're still within the terms of the license. But if that's not the case, you'd be in violation of the licensing terms for the software.

If your Windows 10 license was not one that was OEM and came with the machine, it is sometimes possible to port this to other hardware, but I've never seen that done via cloning.

8. clarks

clarks Thread Starter

I can buy a new lic for windows?
    I'm a ham radio operator so some of the programs are freeware and down loaded a don't even exist(the author) is not supporting it any more.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There have been cases where the hardware is sufficiently close that the OS will boot and run. Of course, if the OS is Windows you still have the issue that it is against Microsoft's License and you will not get activation.

10. britekguy

britekguy

In a case like that, though, can one not purchase a new Windows 10 license and activate same via Settings, System, About Pane and activating the Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows link? I have used this to upgrade editions, but the verbiage indicates that it should allow you to activate if you supply a valid product key for an unactivated Windows 10. I've never tried this with a cloned drive, though.

11. britekguy

britekguy

Whether they're supported or not anymore will not matter if:

1. You still have the installers (which, by the way, is why I always advise that one should keep a personal archive of each and every installer for programs you are actively using).

2. The program is a portable program, which means it's not installed in the conventional sense of making registry entries, but can simply be run standalone from the folder in which it's stored. A great deal of freeware, particularly older freeware, falls into this category. If you look at the desktop shortcut for a given program, and it is not shown as having a Start in: folder entry that begins with either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)\ then they are virtually certain to be portable programs, and one can copy same to another machine by copying the folder contents from where they run to another location on the new machine (or the same location if you create it) and running from there.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure you can purchase a new lic. Here is what I would do;
    1 First read the guide at the top of the forum for swapping boards without a clean install
    2 Follow the procedure then either clone the drive to a new one or pull the drive out and install in the new system
    3 Attempt to use your existing key or lic. If it does not work, then simply purchase a new one and input the key

It never hurts to try your old key; most likely will not work however it costs nothing and you might get lucky.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice