1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning a hard drive onto an ssd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tommy2k8, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

I want to clone a hard drive with a capacity of 320GB on to a SSD with a capacity of 240GB. However, only 200GB of the 320GB are taken up. The software that I am using tells me that I cannot do it because the source hard drive is larger than the target. What can I do?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Some clone tools will not let you do this since it requires repacking the data which strictly speaking is NOT a clone but a copy.
    Also due to the blocking factor and the slack, it is possible that your 200Gb of data actually will occupy far more space than that and will not fit.
    You should always look at the space occupied on disk rather than the size of data since even a single byte file will occupy a full block as only a block is addressable.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What SSD did you buy? Most SSD manufacturers provide a free utility to for cloning drives and it shouldn't have an issue cloning a bigger drive to a smaller one as long as the used space is sufficient. Otherwise Paragon Backup & Recovery, Easus ToDo Backup, Macrium Reflect and many others are available free as well.

4. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

I bought a Sandisk 240GB SSD. I did try and use Macrium but it told me it couldn't do it because the source drive was larger than the target drive.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Seagate buy Sandisk? If so, can't I use their Discwizard software?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

Thankyou for that.
    However, as I have got a disabilitty and cannot take computers apart, one of my friends came round and I attempted helped him to clone his disk onto an SSD; 1 slot with his SSD in, and another taking one of my disks out and putting his HDD in (before we did that, with his disk in my system, I booted Ubuntu to check the SMART data on his Hitachi disk); the clone didn't work as the HDD was reported as having bad sectors on it.
    He then disconnected both and put my disk back, so the configuration is now exactly the same as it was before.
    This morning I powered my test machine on and it wouldn't boot - I checked the boot order in the BIOS, it is set to boot from the correct Seagate disk, ran Boot Repair twice, didn't work, and now it restarts on a loop.
    Any clues?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Bad sectors are defects on the physical drive, has absolutely nothing to do with cloning.

8. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

It said it wouldn't let me do it - it didn't give a reason!

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What said "It said it wouldn't let me do it - it didn't give a reason!"?

10. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

The Sandisk software - just said Error; tried Seagate Discwizard, it too said Error - rechecked the log this morning and it said Couldn't read data from drive

11. DaveBurnett

Do you know how to look at the Event Log?
    Nirsoft http://www.nirsoft.net/ do a whole range of well liked tools for looking at various logs and they do one for the Event Log as well.
    All their tools are stand alone/portable and I keep most of them on my tools disk that I use in my work.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the drive has bad sectors it may not clone.

13. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

The Windows Event Log you mean Dave?

It has only 1, apparently, Rod, but I suppose it matters where the bad sector is on the drive

14. DaveBurnett

15. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

I do; why?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice