1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning boot drive advice....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by matt.choules, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

I am considering cloning my OS (win XP SP2 build 5.1) boot drive (40GB) drive onto a new HDD (160GB), but i see there can be problems...
    My questions are:
    What is the best program to use?
    How can i avoid problems?
    Any extra advice?

From what i can tell some people are having problems when transferring from a HDD onto a larger one, and so a solution of partitioning to the same size as the original seems to be an answer... I'd really like to avoid this.
    I don't want to have to mess around with trying to change the partition size after...
    unless of course this is the only answer?

Matt.

AMD XP Athlon 2500+ (OC'ed 3200 - clock 2090mhz)
    Asus A7n8X-D v2 mobo
    1gb pc3500 Geil RAM
    Radeon 9600 XT 128mb
    Win XP (SP2 build 5.1)

2. natcom

natcom

the best program for this job is acronis true image 9.0 is really easy to use make sure you setup the jumper as slave on the new drive before you make the disk to disk image then when is done setup the jumper as master on the new drive and make the change and you done and you dont have to worry about the drive size differences

3. Stallcup

Stallcup

I use Symantec's Ghost for cloning. The best, simplest and most direct way is to create a Ghost boot disk which will contain all the files necessary to run the cloning and/or imaging operation in PC DOS (or MS DOS, if you prefer). In this way, after you clone to the 160GB drive, you can, if you wish, install a second 160GB drive and A) maintain a cloned drive as backup all the time and B) be able to clone back to the system drive from the backup clone should the system drive become corrupted and un-bootable.

The fact that the destination drive is larger than the source drive does not matter. You will get an exact one-to-one duplicate of the source drive. The only difference will be that you will have all that extra free space which is, I assume, the whole purpose of the new drive.

There are some important things you must do to make sure your new drive is bootable. WinXP remembers Disk ID and drive letter assignments. When you complete the clone of the source drive to the destination drive do not reboot the computer. If you reboot the computer WinXP will give the cloned drive a disk ID and assign a drive letter and will render it un-bootable since your current drive (C:, I presume) is already designated as the system drive. So when the clone is complete, shut the computer off using the power switch, take out both drives, put the cloned drive in the primary position, change the jumpers to master, if you were running master/slave, or leave the jumpers as-is, if you were running cable select, then reboot the computer. WinXP upon reboot will go to the drive in the primary channel on the primary IDE controller, which will be your recently cloned drive and will see it as that which was there before and boot-up.

As a precaution I suggest you go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download and create a Win98 Boot Disk (also known as a Win98 Startup Disk) before you clone. With this disk you can run the fdisk /mbr command which will not only rebuild the mbr, but will zero-out the partition signature, which contains the Disk ID and the starting location of the boot sector. Should you encounter a situation where the cloned drive is not recognized as the system drive and will not boot (for example, you rebooted after the cloning operation completed), you can use the fdisk /mbr command to zero-out the partition signature and force WinXP, upon reboot, to rebuild the Disk ID, drive letter assignment, etc., making the drive bootable.

4. axis77

axis77

I would go with Ghost 2003, excellent program for what you are doing, and once you get the image of your system and ghost it to the new drive it will ask you if you want the exact sized partition or expand it across the whole new drive...

5. Swiper

Swiper

Acronis True Image: ROCKS !!!!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

7. matt.choules

Any idea if its possible to do any of these onto a usb external HDD?
    (for the destination drive i mean).

Matt.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Not sure what (any of these) include.
    If your external is an Enclosure ... where you can remove (change) the HD ..
    Then you can copy (clone) your old HD to the new one in the external ... then swap the drives.
    I prefer to do it this way - I hate burning bridges (HDs) behind me.

You can also make a recovery Image of you HD > to the external - then rebuild a new HD from the external recovery image ... and partition while you're rebuilding (recovering).

You can also do (any of these) to an internal slave drive.

About the only thing you can't do with Acronis True Image, is partition, or repartition, a standalone HD.
    For this , I use Acronis Disc Director.

Did I cover the Questions ?

9. matt.choules

I'm trying acronis TI 9 at the moment, and it recognises that there is a drive C: (OS), and a D: (Storage), but the portable drive F: does not show up as a viable surce or destination disk for the cloning.
    In fact, ATI doesn't even see the disk at all......?

Matt.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Right click on "My Computer" > choose Manage > Disc Management.
    Does the External HD (or new HD) show up here ?
    If so - Can you attach a screen shot of the disc management screen showing the external HD.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

While waiting - let me add ...
    I'd rather go a little slow here - to avoid any mis-communications.

Is the 160gig HD that you want to rebuild and replace ...
    Still in the box - or in the External HD.
    This will make a difference in which way we accomplish your mission.

12. matt.choules

All sorted!
    I found the disk management tool, and deleted all partitions on the 160gb drive, set acronis to work on it, and it did a grand job! It figured out to just bung my OS and leave the rest of the space.
    Have checked the disk with mst defrag, and it says that everything is good.
    My system now loads things up a HELL of alot faster and quieter....

So you guys so much, and Noyb a special thanks to you!

Matt.
    *^_^*

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

BOY - You sure Blew my "Go Slow Plan" .... all to :) :) :) :)

Have you made a full Acronis Recovery Disc yet ?
    You can now make backup Images of your OS and Data Partitions.
    These Recovery Images will only require about 50% of the occupied space in each Partition, using normal compression.
    This was my plan B

14. matt.choules

I am holding onto my original OS HDD (the 40gb one) for a week or so... Just in case i have to swap it back.
    I will make a disc back-up tho....

^_^

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice