1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Simonk, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simonk

Simonk Thread Starter

Hi All

I am using Vista and I have cloned my o/s hard disk using Acronis 2010 onto an external hard disk, linked to PC via USB port. The external disk has been cloned fine, but I am unable to boot from it. I start up PC, F12 to get into boot record, choose boot from external hard disk and it starts as if it is going to start the microsoft thing comes up and the green starts going across, then we get a very quick blue screen, can't read what it says its too quick and then the PC takes us back to the opening bios screen and PC boots up from old hard drive, am I doing something wrong?

On computer management, it does not say that the external hard drive is a boot drive, it just says primary, active.

Any ideas, thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Some parts of the cloned image is still referring to drive C: Try disconnecting the internal hard drive and see what it does.

3. Simonk

Simonk Thread Starter

After disconnecting the main hard drive, the external drive would still not boot. I thought that in Disk Management the external drive should say boot, as part of its attributions, rather than just primary and active.

My old drive says that its boot, primary and active and that works.

Any thoughts? maybe external hard drives are not bootable and you may need to boot PC from Acronis disk recovery or might have to buy another internal hard drive, just for backups!

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check in the BIOS to see if there is anything that mentions booting from USB

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can't make a one to one copy of Windows from your Hard Drive to a USB Hard drive and have it boot from the USB hard drive.

6. Simonk

Simonk Thread Starter

Thanks Squashman, this is the conclusion I had arrived at per my 2nd post, thanks for the confirmation. Just have to go and buy another internal drive instead.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

OS X on the other hand can do that.

If you really want to run XP from a USB drive then gives this a try.
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/blog/?p=64

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/955047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice