1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning Hard Drive issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tp2373, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tp2373

tp2373 Thread Starter

Have been working on this problem for over a year now. I am using Ghost to clone my HDD in my Thinkpad T42 to a HDD in the Ultra Bay. The Cloning Op completes just fine. On the reboot,if I use F12 to select Boot Device, I can see the cloned drive, and can boot up with it just fine. However, If I shutdown, and take the drive out of the Ultrabay, and swap it to the HDD0 location in the laptop, and try to boot, it is unable to find any operating system, and won't boot up. I can boot up with Ultimate Boot CD then, and as long as I leave the drive in the 'normal' HDD location in the laptop, the T42 is unable to find it..at all...Recently I bought a refurbed T43, and used another hard drive, and cloned a drive (also in the ultra bay adapter) put it into the HDD0 position, and it works fine .. Then got brave and put my T42 cloned drive into the T43 and attempted to at least start the bootup to see if the machine could at least recognize the drive as being there, and the T43 does not either..Have tried this on 3 different drives , with the same result. And yet , using the same program on the T43, and any of the 3 drives , can clone the drive and it works fine. Have looked in many forums and still have been unable to figure out why.. One addl thing... When the T42 was new, I bought a new HDD, did the above procedure, and it worked . Still using that cloned drive 3 years later.. Any ideas on what I am missing?

2. moper

moper

Is it possible that the T42 and the T43 use different types of restore procedures. Some computers use a special MBR and Ghost may not be copying it properly. Try a clone using the -IB switch. This is a sector by sector copy and will take longer, but copies everything.

moper

3. tp2373

tp2373 Thread Starter

I would say the answer is no.. It did work once, when I first got the T42. I have also tried using Acronis True Image with the same results..

4. moper

moper

5. tp2373

tp2373 Thread Starter

I was using Ghost 10.0 which is only used via GUI interface, and just checked user's guide, and apparently no way to select different switches.. I do have an older version around somewhere , and will give it a try with the -IB switch setting this weekend. I have used Acronis True Image with the same results as using Ghost..

6. moper

moper

I don't have version 10, but it must have an option to create a boot disk. The only way I have ever run Ghost, is from a boot disk. Look under 'Options'.

moper

7. tp2373

tp2373 Thread Starter

Nope, not there.. This was the first version of Ghost that I have used where the clone is done completely online with windows xp running.. No reboot to complete the operation.

8. tp2373

tp2373 Thread Starter

Could not find the older version of Ghost that worked on Windows XP. But did try to clone using Drive Copy V9.0 this weekend.. Same results . tried to boot the drive in the 'normal' Hdd 0 position in both the T42 and T43, and no drive can be found.. But once again, if I leave the cloned drive in the ultrabay adapter, and do F12 to select boot device , it shows up and boots just fine in either machine.. Only fails when in the normal position. Based on lack of replies, my guess is that I am 'out of luck'...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/795439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice