1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feihung, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

Hi. I'm new to the forum and tried reading through the posts to see someone with my question but no luck. I have a Toshiba qosmio 18.4" laptop which has a 500 gb hard drive and a secondary drive that has a 1tb hard drive. I am planning on swapping out the 500gb for a 1 tb so my laptop will be 2 tb. In order to do this, I guess I'll have to clone my 500gb to put onto my new 1 tb. The hard drives for both are toshiba hard drives and fits the specs for the laptop. Will I have an exact copy of the 500gb or will have some problems with some of the softwwares I downloaded onto the 500gb? Please advise. Thanks.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

It will be an exact copy.
    What software will you be using to clone ??

3. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

I'm having my authorized toshiba repair store cloning it and swapping it out but he says there may be some issues with some of the software since it is aftermarket or thrid party. I bought and installed a dayplanner softwware as well as a screensaver and some other softwares. I'm running windows 7 btw.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

That makes no sense to me .. I have programs of all types and have never had a problem cloning an "Exact" copy.
    I have 3 cloned HDDs and 1 SSD in my desktop and they are all bootable.
    Anyone else have any comments

5. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

cool. i get my 1 tb hard drive this week so I'll be installing and cloning my 500gb which came with the laptop and swap out to my new one. I hope there are no problems like the toshiba guy says. He's the one who said that whereas everyone else has been telling me it is an exact copy so it works just fine. What do you recommend as the cloning software then? Just for reference.

6. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Jay! Yes I have a comment. Why clone a drive that is working?? Why not create a image with a 3rd party image program. Install the new HD and restore the image to the new drive. There shouldn't be any problems. Screen savors were mention. I don't recommend screen savors. They are old school!!
    Here's the difference between a clone and a image. I prefer the image way!!
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

7. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

why image instead of clone? Yes the drive is working. I am just upgrading to a bigger hard drive.

8. donetao

donetao Banned

That shouldn't be a problem. I use Macrium Reflect, but there are several good freeware imaging software out there. You might think about a imaging software after you get your Rig all set up the way you want it!!(y)

9. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

Rig? Imaging? I'm getting confused now. Help break it down. I bought the laptop with the 500 gb inside with the os and a few programs I bought and downloaded. I just want to upgrade to a bigger hard drive so I bought a 1 tb and one I get it, I will swap out the 500gb and put in the 1 tb. The repair store that is. they will clone it and swap it out. They were to ones that said there may be an issue with some of the third party software I downloaded. I just wanted to see if that was true. Now, I 'm getting info about imaging etc. Help.

10. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! A Rig is a computer. Imaging is just another way to transfer your Operating System to a new and larger HD.
    If your repair store is doing this, why are you worried. I'm sure they will get the job done. I have lots of 3rd party software and that has never been a problem cloning or imaging. I was replying to Noyb. He asked if anyone had a comment and I posted mine. Just forget my reply. If you don't know what a image is, it would take a long time explaining. The link in my reply should explain it very well!(y)

11. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

thanks everyone. this was awesome. I feel better. I'll let the store take care of everything and hope there are no issues with the imaging or cloning. reinstalling all the software from the original disc or source would be a real pain.Btw, tell me again which softwware is the best for imaging and cloning?

12. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Here's is all you need to know about Macrium Reflect! I's always good to create a back up image of your operating system.
    You are very welcome. Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you! I'm sure every thing will work out well for you!!
    http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx
    PS Yes is is a real pain reinstalling all the software after a windows disaster. That's why you use a imaging software to back up your Operating system!

13. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

what software for the cloning does anyone recommend?

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I use Acronis for my Imaging/Cloning ... Macrium has good reviews and recommendations.
    Imaging is only good for backing up an operating system and is not good for backing up or restoring Systems that have many gigs of Data in them.
    The time and storage space can get huge ... 1TB could take many days to backup or restore using imaging.

To Illustrate .. I keep my operating systems small for Imaging and put my Data in other partitions.
    Only my small operating system partitions are Imaged.
    If I have to replace a whole Drive ... Cloning 1TB only takes about a hour.
    This would be almost impossible using Imaging.

I didn't want to say it earlier ... But I'd be looking for another "authorized" repair store :D :D

Attached Files:

• 777.gif
      777.gif
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  15. feihung

feihung Thread Starter

that was an authorized toshiba repair center. scary huh? But I will probably take it to another authorized dealer since this one seems scared. That's why I was asking of which software is the best since I could ask the authorized repair store to use the same one or ask which one they are going to use. I'm cloning it. I need an exact copy for the os and the data files. Thanks for the advice.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice