1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning Hard Drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rameam, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

I want to clone my h/d - just in case. How do I go about doing that?

I run Windows Me on a Compaq 1.2 Ghz, 40Gb h/d.

I had to have my h/d replaced after a little over a year. The repairman at Best Buy said he tried 4 h/d's (Western Digital)before he found one that would load. I really don't want to go through that again, and I don't trust WD after all I've heard. I would rather buy another h/d and put everything on it to keep for a spare.

Thanks for any help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "The repairman at Best Buy said he tried 4 h/d's (Western Digital)before he found one that would load." - that's Best Buy not WD.
    All mechanically and digital parts eventually fail or die.

I use and highly recommend Norton Ghost. It can make a 100% exact copy of the hard drive to another hard drive or to an image file that can save to CD or wherever you like. It also supports compression, file spanning, and image resizing when restoring the image.

You can buy Ghost seperately or as part of a package like System Works Pro.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you decide to clone directly to another drive and not an image file, make sure you specify the command line parameter -FDSP or the cloned disk will not boot.

Don't ask me how I know this. :)

4. raybro

raybro

Hi johnwill... Are you referring to a Ghost clone? Using Ghost 2003, I've cloned the OS partition on both my PC (Win98SE) and my daughters PC (XP Pro). Clone was to a formatted partition on the slave drive. In both cases, I was able to switch the boot drive in BIOS and boot from the cloned partition. I didn't do anything regarding any command lines nor was there any kind of warning/message about it.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

There should be a drive copying program on a floppy with your new harddrive.
    Just hook the new drive up as a slave and copy it directly.

6. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. If anyone has anything else to add, please do so.

7. JohnWill

I've had frequent failures to boot after cloning a complete disk without using the -FDSP parameter. The GHOST KB points out it may be needed, and in my experience they're correct, at least in some cases. :)

8. bowenpc

bowenpc

How do you set the parameter -FDSP in the command line. I have cloned a disk without doing this and now it wont boot. I am cloning in dos with the xcopy command
    "XCOPY C: D: /s /e" will cloning like this copy hidden and system fills from the source disk
    oh yeah this isn't a windows os running dos-5
    I have done this with success before with a disk running win98 using the command "xcopy 32 C: D: /s /h /e /c /k" I am assuming that the 32 in the command line reefers to a fat 32 file system.

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

-fdsp
    In my opinion this ought to be the default anyway. Similarly the newer versions will NOT copy swap files etc. and alter any BOOT.INI files. For this reason I have reverted to an older version which does an EXACT clone.

10. JohnWill

I don't know why the -FDSP isn't the default, but with GHOST 2003, it's certainly not. :) I agree that the clone operation should be an exact clone by default, but I'm not the one writing the software. :D

11. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

I was told once in this forum that this command would do it:
    c:\ d:\/h/i/c/k/e/r/y/s.

What is FDSP, and how do you set it?

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

Or, instead of suffering through another Norton product, you could
    try PowerQuest's Drive Image.

Install Drive Image, create the two Rescue Disks and then everything you need for a hard disk copy is on two boot floppies (or boot cd-roms).

13. bowenpc

bowenpc

I tried c:\ d:\/h/i/c/k/e/r/y/s and found that the only valeid switches were /e /y /s. The rest of them came up Invalied.

14. shadowcat

shadowcat

FYI -- Symantec now owns Drive Image and Partition Magic.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/178161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice