1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MICHAELM6, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MICHAELM6

MICHAELM6 Thread Starter

I want to clone my current 40 GB drive to a newer, larger one. Norton will do it (I hope), but the options don't seem to include cloning the C Drive and have the copy automatically designated as C.

I'm comfortable enough with adding drives, etc, but this is scary. I could lose everything if I do it wrong.

Truthfully, I'm not even sure this can be done (in spite of what the software manufacturers say). Starting fresh might be the easy way, but some of the programs I'm using are no longer available and I don't want to lose them.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What brand new hard drive are you planning to clone to? You can download the sotware from the three majors at thier websites. Or if you purchase a retail drive it will come with the tools to do so in the package.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, Norton GHOST can do this operation with ease.

Make sure that the new drive has NOT been formatted or assigned a drive letter in the current installation. If you've already partitioned it, you can use Disk Management to remove all the partitions.

Fire up Norton GHOST and do a disk clone from the current boot drive to the new drive. When the operation is done, remove the old drive and install the new drive as your primary master. Boot the system, you should be running with exactly the same configuration you had before the clone. The drive you removed still has your configuration unmodified in case you have problems with the new drive booting.

4. MICHAELM6

MICHAELM6 Thread Starter

Okay. Here's where my ignorance of the subject gets in the way. Doesn't the new hard drive have to be formatted for the computer to recognize it? Is it possible to (God this sounds sooo stupid to even be asking and making myself look like a total idiot) UNFORMAT the disk?

Okay. You can stop laughing now.

M

5. jflan

jflan

I just upgraded hard drives and used Seagate.

Everything that you need is on the CD that comes with the drive.
    The Seagate Disk Wizard just about reaches out and holds your hand during the process.

You can go to the Seagate website and read more about it.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, as John posted do not partition or format the drive. Just install it as it comes out of the box. A drive must be partitioned and formatted for WINDOWS to see / use the drive. Your cloning software will "See" the unformatted drive.

To remove the partitions [this will also remove formatting] go to disk management. Start>run type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter. Your new drive should be listed as drive 1 [old drive as drive 0] right click the new drive and choose to delete partition.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As a review. To clone a drive.

1 Install the drive just like it comes out of the box. Do not partition or format.
    2 Set jumper as slave [necessary for ide drives not needed for sata]
    3 Boot with your cloning software ie ghost, acronis true image, or drive image]
    4 Choose source [old drive] and destination [new drive]
    5 Complete cloning process
    6 VERY IMPORTANT once the clone process is complete, shutdown do not reboot with both drives connected. Set your new drive as the master with the jumper. Pull the power connector from the old drive.
    7 Power up the system and make sure you can boot from your new drive and drive letters are correct. If all looks good, shutdown and reconnect your old drive jumpered as a slave.
    8 The os will assign the next available drive letter to your old drive and you can use it for storage, backups, etc.

8. MICHAELM6

MICHAELM6 Thread Starter

First of all, thanks so much to all who responded for your help. It's refreshing to encounter people who are willing to help without making me feel like a moron. Trust me. I can do that all by myself.

One last question before diving in. I have an external USB 2 enclosure. Can I use that to hold the new drive until the cloning is complete or should I crack the case and install it inside? The instructions don't say one way or the other.

M

9. JohnWill

You can clone to the USB drive, as long as your imaging utility recognizes it. Older versions of Norton GHOST had problems with many USB environments, one reason I switched to Acronis True Image.

10. MICHAELM6

MICHAELM6 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who offered help. The cloning was a success and I'm up and running. Norton is having a few problems, but I think I can handle that.

Again...thanks

11. MICHAELM6

MICHAELM6 Thread Starter

I spoke too soon. Norton had a BIG problem with the new environment. I ended up having to take the disk out, put the old one back in, uninstall Norton, clone it again and it still refused to install "Go Back". It seems that Norton doesn't like to be fooled with. It disables or trashes other programs and worse. Their e-mail help is horrendous.

Norton is history. I've gone with a different anti virus program. The new disk is running along fine after doing a repair install of the OS.

Thanks again.

12. JohnWill

I've abandoned all things Norton except Partition Magic. I use AVG Free and Avast! anti-virus here.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

John have you tried acronis disk director? It does a better job than pm AND it is not made by norton / symantec.

14. JohnWill

Actually, I did try Disk Director once, about 9 months ago. It choked on the task with some cryptic error, and PM worked. I may try it again, but that didn't give me faith that it was a better solution. ;)

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Michael ... As said previously .. You can Clone to a USB enclosure .. or...
    You could make an Acronis Recovery Image, put the Recovery file in your USB External ... then recover your new drive with it.

As far as Partitioning ... you can specify a new Partition size when Cloning or Recovering a Partition with Acronis True Image.

I'm thinking that anyone with an External .... Really needs Acronis True Image to go with it.

Acronis True Image … the Free trial is fully functional for 15 days.

ATI = $30

If you hadn't installed all the Norton Garbage with Noton Works, and installed just the AV ....
    You'd had a "slightly" better chance of it not messing you up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice