1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning New laptop

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jeff B, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeff B

Jeff B Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a T30 Thinkpad with XP Pro and a bunch of other software. I'm getting a SL500 Thinkpad with Vista loaded, but Lenova will include a XP Pro disc with the new machine(I'm still not ready for Vista). However, can I just clone everything I have on the old T30 onto the new SL500(including the OS)? Also, if I want to pick and choose what software I want to add to the new machine -- can I do that? I was thinking of using "Acronis" unless there is a much better cloning software? I keep thinking that there's a lot of stuff I don't use and that having editing capability is important. I do have all my files on an external hard drive. Any suggestions will be helpful
    Thanks, Jeff

2. jdean

jdean

Cloning between two different machines makes me nervous because of hardware dependencies etc. You might be better off with a "migration" product (Acronis has one called Migrate Easy).

I do migration the hard way (reinstalling applications that need installation, and copying ones that don't) so that I know my machine has just what I need. I try to follow the rule of installing software only if I need to use it (rather than installing because I think I will use it); this saves a lot of time and my new systems are a lot cleaner.

3. Hughv

Hughv

You might get away with an image using Windows XP repair install (I have done this in the past). You won't be able to pick and choose with this method.
    I think jdean is correct, though.
    A clean install is the best way.

4. Jeff B

Jeff B Thread Starter

Why create your own bloatware? A new machine is a great reason to do some serious house cleaning. If, however, I have difficulty in locating certain software discs, is it possible to burn a disc from my old machine?(even with some Microsoft products?)

JB

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I doubt it would work. Most lappys have a propietary windows, tailred to themselves- things like HD or mobo tattoos, to prevent exactly this sort of thing. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice