1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cloning SATA hard drive with Windows XP to USB hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyperinfinity, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyperinfinity

hyperinfinity Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to clone a SATA hard drive with Windows XP to a USB hard drive, and rather or not if Windows XP would work well on the USB hard drive after it was cloned from the SATA hard drive. The USB hard drive would be the only hard drive used after the SATA hard drive with Windows XP was cloned to the USB hard drive.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I've not tried it. But you cannot Boot/run an OS from an external USB drive.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not only would Windows not work from a USB hard drive, USB access is much slower then PATA or SATA.

4. hyperinfinity

Huh, I think I might have heard about USB access being slower then PATA or SATA somewhere now that I think about it, and I don't see any reason with bothering with a USB hard drive if Widows wouldn't work from it. USB hard drives are still good for data storage, but obviously not good for running Windows.

5. hyperinfinity

Also, for some reason I accidentally created this thread instead of adding what I posted in this thread to the thread you closed, oh well. It seemed like I hadn't posted a similar post, but that wasn't the case.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice