Cloning SSD to a Larger SSD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Entegrater

Hi. I used Macrium Reflect to clone 256GB SSD onto a new 512GB SSD. I replaced the new cloned SSD into the laptop but it will not boot up. It goes to the Repair screen and keeps on trying to boot.
I ultimately gave up and created an Image of my system and loaded it onto the new SSD. Exact same thing, it tries to boot, goes to repair screen.

I was able to do a fresh install of Win 10 Home. So we know the drive is working.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea why the drive will not boot when I clone it or install a system image.

I have Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51-88NY notebook and have loaded all the latest driver and Bios).

Thanks.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (52 GB Free);
Motherboard: KBL Charmander_KL, ver V2.02, s/n NBGTP11002743C15723400
System: Insyde Corp., ver ACRSYS - 0, s/n NXGTPAA0067430A4BF3400
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

managed

Allan
Hi and welcome to TSG.

It's important to disconnect the source drive before you try to boot the computer for the first time after making the clone or restoring the image, did you do that ?

Entegrater

The source drive is plugged into the motherboard and the target drive was attached to the notebook via external ssd enclosure. I can not recall but after cloning, I think I went into the bios to change the boot sequence. When it failed to boot. I then inserted it into the motherboard and detached the external SSD enclosure. It failed to boot. So I launched the Macrium Recovery USB disk, went to "Fix Windows Boot Problem" and that was to fix the boot configuration data. But no luck.

Entegrater

One thing to note, I have been removing my original SSD in and out quite often. Now when I boot from it, I get a boot failure but it goes to repair mode and through Recovery it fixes itself and boots. This has happened twice.
My SSD was working perfectly before I start removing it back and forth. This has become another problem to manage now.

managed

Allan
Try cloning again but this time as soon as the cloning is finished turn the computer off, remove the source drive and replace with the destination drive, use the same Sata data cable the source drive was connected to for the destination drive.

Boot into the cloned OS at least once before you re-connect the source drive.

Let us know if the clone boots up now, we can try to sort out the original SSD next if it did.

Entegrater

Hi Allan, I tried it again. Immediately shut the notebook, installed the ssd. But it does not boot.

crjdriver

Does the laptop have only a single drive or does it by chance have optane memory?
I am not a fan of doing a clone using an external adapter; just adds another layer of complexity to the task.
Up to you if you want to continue to make this work however IF it were me, I would just clean install windows and be done with the problem.
Most drive mfg have purpose designed cloning software available for download on the support page for the drive. WD, Samsung, Intel all have this available. If you do not want to go the clean install route, I would use what the drive mfg says to use rather than macrium.

A third option would be to make an image of the source drive using something like acronis true image. Store the image on an external drive. Shutdown and swap drives. Boot with the acronis boot usb [have the external connected an pw ON prior to boot] Restore the image. Done.
Note when you use an image rather than a clone, you end up with a drive the same size as the original. This is VERY easy to fix in disk management; just extend the drive into the unallocated space on the new drive.

Entegrater

Thanks for the feedback. My laptop has M2 slot on the motherboard. The laptop came with 256Gb stick in the slot. There is an option if adding hdd but you need to buy cabling for that.
I am fine with a new Window install. I just didn't want to reinstall all the apps and try to track down all data. Not lazy just a little unsure where everything is. My son and wife have been using this laptop for work and school. I wanted to ensure there was no loss of apps or setting that would prevent them from logging into their respective accounts.
I bought the Adata XPG S11 SSD. They provide their software (Acronis) but want you to upgrade on order to clone drives.
I'll give one last try to image the SSD as you suggest.
Is there a app that will search and migrate all installed programs and setting, bookmarks etc ?

crjdriver

Is there a app that will search and migrate all installed programs and setting, bookmarks etc ?
Probably however they usually do not work well. It is a LOT more complex than just copying folders and shortcuts. When a program is installed, the setup copies files to the program folder AND copies .DLL type files to the windows and or windows\system32 folder along with making the relevant entries in the registry that point at those files. That is where the "Migration" type programs usually have problems.

Try the image/restore and see how that works for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts