1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloning Systems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Milo145, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Milo145

Milo145 Thread Starter

I've never really had many issues with cloning systems before but I've hit the wall on this one. I'm using Ghost 2003 to clone a win2k pro sp4 to a new blank box. The hardware on the new box is different. The new box has all the new drivers extracted in their seperate folders, the sysprep.ini is pointing to those folders. I run sysprep /pnp on the original box. Shut down ran ghost cloned the drive, no hit's no runs no errors. Boot the new HD in the new box the first splash screen loads, it gets to the second splash screen and the blue status bar gets about a quarter of the way and the system hangs. Safemode same thing????

Everything I've read on symantecs page (ghost)and MS (sysprep) states this can be done. But I can't find any details anywhere regarding why it could be hanging. I did find a little nugget of info regarding sysprep 2.0 with a -bmsd switch that over comes this problem but 2.0 is for XP, has anyone figured out a way to run 2.0 on Win2K?

TIA

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

There are actually two things that I know of that can cause this. Someone here may know of more.

First, If ACPI is enabled on one machine and not the other, it will hang like that.

Second, if the cloned system is having problems with memory, it can hang, or give a stop error. It won't necessarily give a stop error.

P.S. I'm pretty sure it's the ACPI thing..

3. Milo145

Milo145 Thread Starter

Talk to me about ACPI, how can make sure the configs are the same?

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

ACPI is usually controlled by a setting somewhere in a computers bios. Go into the computers bios and see if it is set to on in one computer and off in the other.

5. Milo145

Milo145 Thread Starter

Already done, but still have the same problem.

There has to be a way...............

6. rmay635703

rmay635703

I think everyone is on the wrong track.

He cloned one drive to another and then put it on a completely different PC correct?

Windows 2000 installs core level drivers for IDE and other mainboard components on your initial install, it (95% of the time) won't boot to completion in a different box usually popping up a blue stop message and no it doesn't matter if you try to boot in safe mode.

Your best bet would be to reinstall windows 2000 overtop of what you cloned, I've tried the repair option and it only has worked once out of about 5 builds I've tried it on.

There is an expensive utility from norton that can fix Windows 2k install issues like this but I doubt its worth $300 to you/

Sorry for the news but at least your data won't be going anywhere, but you will probably have to reinstall stuff.

Cheers

7. Milo145

Milo145 Thread Starter

I think I'll have to resign myself to the fact that is the only solution. I tried that on a test HD and all Service Packs OS/Office suite will need to be reinstalled :( I might as well just build them from scratch......

POOOOOOOOO

8. rmay635703

rmay635703

The only thing you could do if you REALLY want it to work is to put the drive back in the original PC it was cloned from, DELETE all devices in the device manager and then try it in your new PC by booting into safe mode.

It might work

Cheers

9. Milo145

Milo145 Thread Starter

What the heck it's worth a shot. I'll let ya know how it works in a while.

10. rmay635703

rmay635703

Oh yeah and if you can "find" something called ERD Commander or the like from someone it will help you greatly as it can repair and change windows 2000 bootup drivers and devices without messing your install, if a friend has it you will be set. Use it once and it will do wonders

Cheers

11. Milo145

Milo145 Thread Starter

ERD "Commander" Never heard of it. Can you point me in the right direction??

12. Milo145

Milo145 Thread Starter

Found it, very cool tool....

Quick question.

I'm unable to read c: from a dos prompt if I boot with a Win98 boot disk. Do you think ERD Commander will be able to?

13. rmay635703

rmay635703

Ooops posted while I was..

Anyway ERD commander can read most any drive if its Not been damaged or reformatted, the reason your 98 boot disk won't read it is because it doesn't have NTFS support.

here's what I wrote earlier

Well I know where it can be bought but its a luxury program design for people solely in the business of fixing PC's all day. It is designed for what you are doing now and can be found

http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp

there. Unfortunately its priced more than some of our computers cost so I would suggest finding someone at an IT or IS department that already has it and have them use it on your machine.

If you could find an old version on ebay or elsewhere you might be able to find it priced reasonably

I used to use it here at platteville for imaging and setting up the hundreds of workstations here on campus every year when I worked for the OIT and it was a great timesaver as you could build one image put it on one machine of each type then fix the image on the 10 or so different types of machines here on campus (using ERD C), then clone everything once finished. It was a LOT faster than building 10-20 images and then possibly having to fix them anyway.

Cheers

14. alanh

alanh

Rmay635703: When you take the route of preparing a drive to go into a new box by deleting all devices in device manger form the old box, how do you initially get CD drive support in the new box so that you can install the drivers for the new mobo/chipset?

15. rmay635703

rmay635703

2k "should" automatically install generic drivers for the ide ports but I would only do what I mentioned above in a last ditch effort so to say.

Normally when I am setting up machines I never even see a windows 2000 cd, I usually just use the i386 directory on the schools server to serve as the windows 2000 cd.

Also many of the machines I've built always have the installation cd on the hard drive (I put it there if it isn't) so I do not need to worry about cd driver issues anyway.

To boot when your "installing" software to a large number of machines you only install software to one machine and image it off to the others, so I get to ignore many of the problems experienced by home user installations.

Cheers

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice