Cloning Systems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Thanks, Rmay. Should have mentioned I'm working with WIN98SE. I guess you must also be able to get network access to your school's server in WIN 2K even after deleting all devices in device manager.

The copying of the Windows CD onto the hard drive before moving it to the new box is a great idea. Which CAB file or what procedure do I use to get the CD drive to run once I'm up in safe mode on the new box?

I'm very interested in HDD cloning/imaging software as that's where I recently got into trouble with Drivecopy 4.0. I bought Norton Ghost 2002 last year but was not able to figure out all of the switches and options to simply clone my HDD to an exact same model Western Digital drive. I just want to peridically back up my system to a removable HDD, resulting in a bootable exact copy of my hard drive. Also tried Duocor Xactcopy, but it refuses as it wants the Destination drive to always be larger than the Source drive. Anyone have advice on Ghost or other cloning software?

Actually I have a special boot floppy that takes care of networking issues that allows me to access the installation drive on the server

98se is easier than 2k and will reinstall all the needed generic drivers if you delete all the devices in safe mode upon the initial boot, but remember that the cd-rom drive won't be accessible until the second boot.

Norton ghost is easy, just run ghostpe and click drive then drive. and you can copy one drive to another.

Cheers

Well, not trusting that I can clone drive to drive with Ghost the first time, it seems like imaging to CDs first would give me good fallback in case I wipe out my backup HDD.

The Radified guide to Ghost is thin on information on imaging to CDs. Warns to get help from someone who has actually done this. The ghost 2002 manual has me flipping across as many as 4 sections of the book to try to get one instruction or concept explained!

Can anyone help me make the following choices to make the Ghost boot floppies and then burn a multi CD image of 10GB of hard drive files, so that I could later [as a test] upload that image to a different HDD and boot on it as if it was the original HDD cloned at the time I burned the CDs?
1. PCDOS vs. MSDOS? I run WIN98SE on a pentium4. What difference does this DOS choice make? The MSDOS route looks more complex. Why do they even make this a choice?
2. Should the Ghost Boot floppy disk have CD-ROM support or not, or do I really need one with and one without CD-ROM support to get all the way thru this process of upload and boot on a new HDD? The RAD guide gives an example where both are required, but is that for me? If so, which do I use when?
3. I want to be able to operate ghost from DOS with a mouse. How do I ensure that mouse drivers are loaded? Is this a DOS command or something?
4. Should I make the CD bootable or not? I just want to get the image file from CDs to a HDD and make the HDD boot--so wouldn't an exact image of my first HDD, if faithfully loaded to a second HDD [cloned to the HDD from an image file] boot and run perfectly? Does making the CD's themslves bootable mean I use more CDs to burn the image?
5. How do I enable and manage spanning? Obviously I have to span the 10GB image across 10 or more CDs if using fast compression, but do I have to enter ghost with some carefully typed "-span,x.y.z" kind of command or will the program prompt me about this? If it asks me "the location of the next span of the image file" [this is right out of their piece of ---- users guide], what do I say?
:confused: :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online