1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cloning with acronis 2018

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yeroled, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

tried cloning my 2.5 500 gb hdd to another 2,5 500 gb hdd with acronis 2018 but target drive. everything goes well till it's time to click proceed to clone to target disk there's a red x beside the disk name and it also says it will copy as MBR and on Careys video it says GPT. and the laptop finishes and shuts down, i changed the HDD's and it won't boot into windows. just says disk has errors and ask to shut down. I'm on a sony viao VPCEB18FD

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    A link to 'Careys video' could help. Can you still use windows with the source drive installed ?

3. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

Here a link to the cloning by Carey

and yes, when i put the source disk back in the laptop it boots up. I forgot to mention that the target disk is used, so i did a format to it a few times. I'm using windows 10 also.
    Thxs
    Neil

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I watched the video but didn't see any reference to GPT.

I think you just have to make sure the target HDD gets the same type of partition scheme as the source, so both should be MBR or GPT depending on which the source is.

5. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

thxs i put the wrong link in, here the one i was referring to,
    i'm talking about the bottom orange line at min 34:56 not nice to show times, because it is worth the full watch.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is a problem [and most likely the cause of your issue]
    The destination disk must be blank ie no partition info, no nothing; just like it came out of the box. If the destination disk is a ssd, secure erase the drive. Note secure erase is NOT a format; it is a command issued to the drive controller. If the drive is a spin drive, then use something like DBAN to wipe the drive. Once done with the secure erase or wipe, how to properly clone with acronis;
    1 Boot the system with the acronis boot usb/cd. I do not like to clone, image or anything else from within windows
    2 Choose source [old drive] and destination [new or now secure erased drive]
    3 Complete the clone process
    4 VERY important. Do not reboot with both drives connected. Shutdown and pull out the old drive. Install the new drive. Pw ON
    5 Be sure drive letters are correct, etc

Failure to follow the above procedure will almost always result in failure.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. If using DBAN or other wiping program, be SURE you select the correct drive. You would not be the first person to wipe the wrong drive and you will not be the last one to do so.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes it says the clone disks 'layout will remain as is' so presumably it could be different than the source.

You're in good hands with crjdriver.

9. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

Ok , I did a Dban autonuke and still the same problem (not wanting to Clone)
    So, decided to put on a fresh windows 10 to this HDD, made a usb flash windows 10 boot using creation tool. turned on my sony laptop and everything was going great and after about 15 -20 of the install , Boom i got this message..... any ideas???
    Neil
    Picture 002.jpg

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You may need to run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive. There may be a problem with it.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree with the above; the drive may be defective. Go to the site of whomever mfg the drive ie WD, Seagate, whatever and download the diagnostic. Run that [both short and long tests]

12. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

ok did a seatool test on my Samsung 2.5 500gb HDD and it said bad sectors and wouldn't finish test. so i bought a SDD and tried to do an acronis clone but it kept telling me to delete a bunch of stuff from C drive and Service drive, so i just pulled it out and installed the SDD and reinstalled windows 10 and my vaio is working great now. Didn't want to have to reinstall all the files and software all over again, but the time i spent trying to figure out the problem i could have reinstalled everything, 2 or 3 times over. LOL
    I did a CPU-Z test on my HDD before this all started and it said caution, so I tried to clone to a spare HDD I had, (thought it was GOOD) that's why I tried to clone my windows 7 ( save time), I was a little nervous about windows 10, when cloning didn't work I installed windows ten, but it really wasn't working very well slow slow slow, so that's when I got you guys involved, I'm getting pretty used to Windows 10 now. So in conclusion, I had two bad HDD and now everything is working great and it is super fast.

Thxs for all the help guys.

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you got it sorted. (y)

14. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Excellent!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!