1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clonning xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mzik, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mzik

mzik Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm a volunteer maintaining a pc classroom in an old man's club(I'm a retired pc tech)
    On the pc's there are games, office, av,etc'
    We got a couple of new pc's donated (with OEM XPhome installed on them, with their legal codes)
    Is it possible to clone the old pc's (which are not OEM)to the new ones and transfer their original code?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Which Operating Systems do you have on the "old" PC's?

3. mzik

mzik Thread Starter

on the old pc's i have xp pro corp

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The answer is no you can not. Reason why = Windows will try to acclimate itself to the new computer and when it finds a new motherboard with new numbers for ID and other differences it will not function. You can only put the cloned as you call it back to the original computer.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It won't work, and it's not legal either. One copy, one license.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Mzik,

I think there may be a workable solution if you could explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve. Given the full facts either myself or another Forum member may be able to suggest a way forward.

With reference to Windows licensing there are important differences between OEM and Full Product licensing and the practical way in which you can install Windows.

1. Windows installed under an OEM license is permanently associated with that specific PC. When that PC comes to the end of its life the Windows OS also terminates. Under the OEM EULA you can change any component on an OEM PC except the MOBO. Microsoft consider that the MOBO is the PC.

2. Windows purchased from a retail outlet and sold with a Full Product license is transferrable between different PC's. The only legal requirement is that it is installed on only one PC at any given moment. If you do move a Full Product Windows OS to another PC you must run the Microsoft utility "sysprep" You can find out more about sysprep at this link : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577

7. mzik

mzik Thread Starter

Sorry
    I made a mistake-its just the opposite
    The "old" pc's are Xp home OEM

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

mzik,

I am still no wiser as to what you want to achieve. :confused:

If I understood the end goal then I may be able to suggest a workable, legal way to achieve it, without that type of understanding I am at a loss as to what to suggest.

:eek:

9. mzik

mzik Thread Starter

What I 'm going to achieve is just to save me a lot of bother.
    The "old" pc's already have AV, Office .printer ,local net and games-all off them need installing
    What I would like to do is to ghost an image to the new pc's and to just change their key to the legal one and than to call MS
    thnks

10. peter2314

peter2314

Why dont you just take the hardrive out of the old computer and put t in the new saves a whole load of bother and run it as a master and slave.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would like to say again that what you want to do will not work. If you take the drive and install it into another computer Windows XP Home or Pro it does not matter will try and setup itself to the new pc of which it does not understand and install all of the new hardware it finds. Besides being illegal to do this the re-installation will not work and you will not be able to authenticate it either because of too many changes you will have to call Microsoft and they will have a party with you.

Just leave the OS's in the machines they are on and use them.............

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Why MUST you run "sysprep" to move a retail OS to another machine? :confused:

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

To remove the hardware information on the original computer allow subsequent computers to go through the initial detection process as if it were a new install.

14. Tabvla

Tabvla

Reply to Osrom1e,

Although in principle I agree with what you say ...
    .... you are not strictly correct. If a user owns a retail version of Windows the EULA is quite clear that the OS is not tied to any specific machine and may be installed on any machine providing that at any one moment in time it is only installed on a single machine.

So a user can for example purchase a new PC without an OS and install the OS (retail version) from the old PC on the new PC.

Running "sysprep" is not a "must" but it does facilitate the legal moving of software from the old machine to the new machine.

So, providing Mzik owns a retail version of Windows and has the original EULA and proof of purchase (Microsoft also require that the User Manual be present) then there is nothing that prevents Mzik from installing that version of the OS on another machine, providing the current installation is removed from the current machine.

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

OK does the person who now has possession of the computers have all of the stuff for the operating system to be legal? Like the install software on CD, the key code and all that makes the Windows XP legal? If not then it is illegal and if so all they have to do is re-install a full installation on the new computer. If you try to change it any way other than that it will not work properly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice