Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Closing a document in Word without Closing the Program

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  slurpee55 
#1 ·
I am using Windows XP Professional Version 2002. When I close an open document in Word, it closes the whole program. Does anyone know how to fix this. Thank you.:)

#5 ·
My guess (like the others, I think) is that you are closing the document by clicking on the red "X" in the upper right corner of the document. That does close the program. There is a smaller, black "x" below it that only closes the currently visible document, so you can just go to File, Close and close the file that way.

#6 ·
Hi, and thank you for replying. I am using Word Version 2003. I forgot to mention in my posting that this problem is intermittent. For instance, this morning when I opened Word, whenever I opened a document and then closed it, the entire program closed. Later in the morning, I opened the program, opened a filed, closed it and the program remained opened. To answer your question about how I am closing the document, I go to file, close or I go to the X close symbol for the document. Either way, it would close the document and the program. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks. Carol

#8 ·
I just ran a Google search for Word closing document closes program.

Carol, you are not the only person experiencing this problem, that's for sure. Looking at some of the Google results suggests that there may be more than one cause and more than one possible solution.

#12 ·
In Word 2003 there is NO 'RED" X, it is a White X on a RED button.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
True enough. ;)
But I IE 8 there is a Red X on a White button :p:p:p
But my IE 8 has a White X on a red background as well - as does Firefox and, as far as I can tell, everything else (running XP).

#13 ·
True enough. ;)

But my IE 8 has a White X on a red background as well - as does Firefox and, as far as I can tell, everything else (running XP).
Oops, I was looking at the wrong X, 3 lines below the White X on the Red button, it was the "Stop" )Esc) that caught my eye. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.