Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Closing a DVD

657 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  loserOlimbs 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a DVD on which I recorded a number of important items using a dedicated DVD machine. I did not "close" the DVD because I wanted to add further material.

In the meantime the DVD machine (which is out of warranty) has died leaving me with an "open" DVD which I cannot access using my computers.

Does anyone know of a way in which a DVD can be "closed" if the machine on which it was recorded is no longer available?

Thanks

T.

#2 ·
Not really. Have you scanned the dvd disk with a data recovery app? You may be able to recover the files.

FWIW having only one copy of any data means you do not care about the data. You must have at least two copies on separate media [If you care about the files]

#3 ·
Hi CRJ

Thanks for the reply...... and thanks also for the wrap on the knuckles for not having a backup of the DVD :eek: There is a first time for everything isn't there, and this is the first time that I have had a machine like a VCR, DVD, TV..... etc pack up on me.

It is Murphy's Law isn't it. I was gong to add one more item to the DVD and then close it and copy to a hard drive. And the &*%$ DVD recorder had to pack up right then :down:

I cannot access the DVD with a recovery app. Unfortunately neither XP nor Vista will "see" that there is even a DVD in the drive. Both OS's simply ignore the DVD.

But this has now become an interesting technical challenge. There must be a way to resolve this... :confused:

T.

#4 ·
I understand that the os will not "See" the drive. Have a data recovery app scan the drive for you. There are some free ones that you can try in addition many recovery apps will have a "Free" trial. It will show you what you can recover from the disk however it will not do the recovery until you pay the lic fee.

#5 ·
What was this dedicated DVD system? It should be readable on another system that can read open sessions, as long as it wasn't some sort of proprietary file system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.