1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Closing Outlook Exp leaves residual process running.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Anthony2816, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I began to have a problem when shutting down Windows XP (SP1): Often the shutdown process is halted with a window saying "MCI Command Handling Error"...it can't end a program, and I have to click "End now" to get the computer to resume its shutdown. Sometimes this happens more than once. Had no success in figuring this out, UNTIL! I've discovered it's linked to another problem:

If I close Outlook Express, it leaves a process running. Task Manager (Processes) reveals that "msimn.exe" is still running, with zero CPU usage, and mem usage of around 10k. If I open and close OE five times, I end up with five "msimn.exe" processes in Task Manager.

If I close all these processes before I shutdown the computer, I don't get the MCI Command Handling Error.

Anyone have any idea what to do? I tried the MS Knowledge base and found nothing.

2. Del

Del

Are you sure the file name is msisn.exe?? Can't find anything on it anywhere.
    msimn.exe is the executable for OE..
    :confused:

3. Anthony2816

Oops! Yes, indeed, it's msimn.exe. Thanks.

4. Del

Del

When you open OE, does it open right up, or are you clicking it several times?
    Does OE work ok except for this?

5. Anthony2816

OE opens fine with one click, and otherwise behaves fine. The only thing unusual is that residual process it leaves when I close it.

I have another computer using OE under WinXP. I checked that one, and the msimn.exe process closes as soon as I close OE. I presume that's what's supposed to happen. It just doesn't behave on my main machine.

Think uninstalling and reinstalling OE might be indicated? I can't think of anything else to try.

6. Del

Del

7. Anthony2816

I'll try it, but that sort of procedure makes me nervous since I installed SP1. Whenever it keeps asking for the original WinXP disk, it makes me think it's going to overwrite a bunch of SP1 files with the original versions, and screw things up proper.

8. Del

Del

When did the problem start? After you installed SP1?

9. Anthony2816

I think it may have been since I installed Outlook Express (about a month ago). I'd been using Eudora for years, but recently my DSL joined up with Yahoo, and for some reason Eudora was no longer able to authenticate me with the new email server, so I switched to Outlook Express. Did it on my computer and on my wife's, but this problem only arose on mine.

10. imweasel

imweasel

I agree with the previous poster. Try to repair IE and see if the issue continues to occur.

11. Anthony2816

Well, I tried running "sfc /scannow", and after considerable time it got to about the halfway point of reading the CD, and then just quit working.

Perhaps it doesn't work once SP1 is installed?

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling OE, and report back later.

12. Anthony2816

Oh well. That didn't work, either. I opened up Control Panel's "Add/Remove Windows Components" and unchecked Outlook Express. Windows futzed around a bit, and then said it had finished uninstalling. I rebooted just to tidy up loose ends, restarted Control Panel just to be sure that OE had been uninstalled (and indeed, the checkbox is now unchecked, showing that OE is no longer installed).

I then noticed that my OE icon was unchanged. I clicked it, and up popped OE! Exactly as I had left it.

Looks like yet another example of Microsoft making sure you can't remove their programs.

And of course when I exited my uninstallable OE, it left an instance of MSIMN.EXE running in my process list....

(Just for the fun of it, I tried running that "sfc /scannow" program again to "repair" OE. This time it got just beyond the halfway point, and then completely locked up the WinXP desktop.

Any other suggestions that don't include the words "format" and "C drive"?

13. Del

Del

14. Anthony2816

Okay, I did the reg edit and reinstalled OE. (I can tell it actually reinstalled because Zone Alarm noticed that the executive had been altered).

But the problem remains. Each time I run OE, it leaves a residual running process.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice