1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Closing processes in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Buffy, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

Okay, I'm having problems with a new computer game and their Tech Support told me to close all programs running in the background. I'm not sure if that is really the problem, but I'll try it anyway. So, I'm going to list all the things I have under "Processes" in task manager and see if any of you can tell me if I can close them or not, or maybe what they are:

Image Name User Name CPU Mem Usage

IEXPLORE.exe Owner 00 25,704k
    taskmgr.exe Owner 02 1,752k
    evntsvc.exe Owner 00 136k
    hkcmd.exe Owner 00 3,028k
    DDCman.exe Owner 00 3,468k
    KBD.exe Owner 00 6,224k
    hpsysdrv.exe Owner 00 1,304k
    nvsvc32.exe SYSTEM 00 1,068k
    avgserv.exe SYSTEM 00 1,360k
    spoolsv.exe SYSTEM 00 4,436k
    explorer.exe Owner 00 15,124k
    svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE 00 4,240k
    svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE 00 3,548k
    svchost.exe SYSTEM 00 19,228k
    svchost.exe SYSTEM 00 4,756k
    lsass.exe SYSTEM 00 996k
    services.exe SYSTEM 00 2,984k
    winlogon.exe SYSTEM 00 3,228k
    crss.exe SYSTEM 00 3,548k
    smss.exe SYSTEM 00 352k
    GMT.exe Owner 00 21,320k
    wtm.exe Owner 00 1,600k
    msmsgs.exe Owner 00 5,260k
    rundll.exe Owner 00 4,776k
    CMESys.exe Owner 00 7,568k
    AORNUM.exe Owner 00 9,328k
    wcmdmgr.exe Owner 00 2,840k
    System SYSTEM 00 220k
    System Idle Process SYSTEM 95 20k

2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

3. cj_white

cj_white

what is the exact problem?

ending the processes could be beneficial if you are doing a task that requires some extra resources. some processes are protected and will not let you end them. let us know what the initial problem is so we can help you a little better

4. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

Okay, well the game is The Sims Unleashed. It is an expansion pack to The Sims. I have The Sims, Sims Livin Large, Sims Hot Date, and now I just got The Sims Unleashed. I've never had any problems until I got Unleashed. I installed it and when I went to play it, it crashed back to the desktop when it got to the neighborhood screen. So then I completely uninstalled The Sims and all the expansion packs that I have, including Unleashed. And then I just installed The Sims and Unleashed, no other expansion packs or downloads and it still crashed. This shouldn't have happened this time, because I only had one expansion pack installed. So then I went to the Tech Support part of their website and it said to create a shortcut to The Sims and disable the Intro movie and sound. So I did that and it worked. I then reinstalled the game and put all my expansion packs on and created the shortcut again and it worked. I can play the game, but because I had to disable the sound, I don't have any sound. LOL So I'm trying to fix it so I can have the sound. I checked to make sure my video and sound card drivers are updated and as far as I can tell, they are. I wrote to Maxis Tech Support and told them my problem and everything that I had done to fix it, and I asked them if maybe it was my sound card and a compatibility issue with that and they replied telling me to make sure I close all programs running in the background and didn't say anything about the sound card. Well, a few minutes ago, I went into task manager and shut down some of the things I thought I could close and then I tried the game again and it still crashed when I didn't use the shortcut. So that is my problem. I might also add that a lot of other people are having this same exact problem, their game is crashing at the neighborhood screen.

5. cj_white

cj_white

if a lot of people are having the same issue then you might just have to wait for a patch to come out for the game. it wouldn't be the first time a software company released a product that crashed when it came out(ie Windows NT sp)

6. mal1930

mal1930

HI, There is a free program called Enditall that can do what you require. I suggest you do a Google search and then download it.

Every time you play the game it is just a one click opertion once yu set it up. It is also good for defragging etc. Peace Mal

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

It might also help to run adaware, as I see two pieces of spyware on your system. GMT.exe is an element of Gator. and AORNUM.exe comes from iWon.com, both are spyware, and where there are a couple, there may be more.

www.lavasoftusa.com

8. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

Well, I took my game back to Walmart and exchanged it for a new one. And the problems got worse. I installed Unleashed and then went to play it, and I got the first screen that pops up and then it disappeared and the game didn't start. The CD-Rom sounded like it was starting, but after 15 minutes of waiting....no game. I looked in Task Manager and it said Sims.exe under Processes, but....no game. So I talked to their lovely Tech Support once again and they suggested a few things, I tried them and they didn't work. And then they told me it was probably what they call a "SafeDisc crash" (anybody know what that means?), something about the CD-Rom not reading past the copyright, or something like that. So they led me to a link to download something and it still didn't fix the problem. So they had me uninstall/reinstall the entire game about 5 times and then told me to go exchange at the store for a new copy. Sweet, huh? So I went and exchanged it again, Walmart wasn't very happy, and I'm still having the problem where I click on play and the game doesn't start. Maxis said there's nothing more they can do for me, and I'm pissed. I've spent $160 on The Sims and Expansion Packs and I've been waiting for Unleashed for 3 months and finally got it, and now I can't play it. Sweet. I am so upset about this right now and I don't know what else to do. Any help any of you can give would be much appreciated.

9. sirrick123

sirrick123

how you sisable the sound and intro in the sims unleashed??????

10. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

I created a shortcut for the sims by doing this:
    Right-click on the desktop, click "new", click "shortcut". A little window pops up and click "Browse". Go to C:program Files\Maxis\The Sims and scroll down 'til you see "Sims" with an icon next to it, highlight it, click "Ok". Then click "Next" twice and there should be a new icon for the sims on the desktop. Right-click on the icon and select "Properties". The "target" box should be highlighted. After the last quotation mark type -skip_verify -w -skip_intro -nosound
    So it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe" -skip_verify -w -skip_intro -nosound
    Pay attention to all the spaces.
    Click "apply" and then "Ok". Then double click on that shortcut to play the game, making sure the CD is in.

11. sirrick123

sirrick123

thanks for the tips, but it still chashing whitout sound and intro
    buuuuuuuuuuuuu

12. Grays

Grays

I had a similar problem when installing Unleashed for my kids. Clicked over the shortcut, got the splashscreen and the nothing, although the process was running. After much faffing around I found that the Compatibility mode for the shortcut under Maxis was trying to run it in Win 95 compatibility mode.

I unticked that as Unleashed has XP support according to the wrapping and all worked fine.

This was after de/re-installing it twice...Pah...

Hope it helps.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/97898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice