1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

closing programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thsh6, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thsh6

thsh6 Thread Starter

On my old system (Win-98) I could close programs by doing Control-Alt-Delete. On Win-XP when I try to do this, a box pops up that only gives me the option to connect or logoff. There is no list of programs running. I must be looking in the wrong place! - Still a computer idiot - thsh6

2. talpha1

talpha1

Are you on a network? That is the only reason I can think of that ctrl-alt-dlt would behave that way in windows xp. I run xp and mine gives me the windows task manager, like you are looking for. I can recommend an alternate program that is similar to task manager and very user friendly (free too). It is called Starter. You can download it from the following site:
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrights_a-z.htm

I hope that helps.

3. mobo

mobo

In xp its control alt delete and under the applications tab

4. talpha1

talpha1

motherboard is right. You must be on the "users" tab. That is the only tab with disconnect and logoff. Starter is still a handy program if you want to give it a try, though. Good Luck!

5. thsh6

thsh6 Thread Starter

I finally got the problem fixed - I had to resort to the Microsoft Support page. It said that I was in "Tiny Footprints" mode, and that if I double-clicked at the top of the bar, the Task Manager Window would open up - which it did! Praise God. thsh6

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!