1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

closing things down

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wornout, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wornout

wornout Thread Starter

Wonder if anyone can help me?

Very often, infact almost every time I use my labptop now, when I am finished with whatever website I have been reading, when I try to close it down the main body disappears but the headings at the top of the page remain and it won't shut down.

The only way I can get rid of the page is if I go into Task Manager. This is a very new laptop and it has been working really well up until now.

The odd thing is that it has just started happening on my husband's laptop too.

Any ideas anyone?

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

First off, I will tell you that this definitely sounds like a spyware problem. The spyware is loading on your system through your browser and is running in the background, not really causing "damage", but just being pesky. I'd recommend running an anti-spyware scan with whatever program came with your PC. If you do not have a program, I'd recommend either PestPatrol (paid) or Ad-Aware (free).

I would check the installed add-ons in your browser as well. it is possible that those are what is causing the freezing when exiting as well. In most browsers, all you have to do is navigate to the settings or tools, and look for add-ons. Disable the ones that do not make any sense at all (e.g. randon letters, numbers or symbols; or words that do not exist).

Hope this helps.

3. wornout

wornout Thread Starter

Hello Specsnow,

Thank you for your reply. I left my laptop with a friend whilst I was away for a week and he seems to have sorted out the problem for now. Not sure what he did though so I will refer back to your post if it happens again.

I do have a problem with my printer now so I am about to start trying to sort that out.................watch this space!!!!!

Thank you again for your help.

Wornout

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice