1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Closing X Windows to get to command line(or boot into command line)

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by hitman_et, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hitman_et

hitman_et Thread Starter

Can someone plz tell me how to get into command line. can i just close x windows somehow or so i have to boot into it

i have linux 9

2. tsunam

tsunam

umm..unlike windows linux doesn't have a version...Distro's do. Now assuming you have redhat or suse or mandrake you can get a command line in any graphical enviroment thru a terminal. (this actually goes for any distro around...just a 9.0 version is limited to those 3 afaik)

If you want to just boot into the console then you could most likely do a rc-update del xdm

3. hitman_et

hitman_et Thread Starter

i have red hat, and i am trying to install nvidia drivers. it says i need to close x server. it does not work in terminal, or in ctrl+alt+f1

Edit: i think i have to edit /etc/inittab

4. saikee

saikee

Ctrl+Alt+F1 is the standard method to drop into the command mode.

From command mode the equivalent standard of going back to GUI is to type "startx"

Editing /etc/inittab cantrols your boot-up-to level. Levels 4 & 5 are usually for GUI.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

If you log out, and come right back to a login screen, type in, as root /etc/init.d/xdm stop

That should kick you to the console.

I think that should work. I can't remember if redhat uses SysV style init.

6. utanja

utanja

i used to run RH.....you need to edit /etc/inittab to change the runlevel to 2...

reboot and you should be at the console prompt...

when you want X...just type startx.....
    :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/290817