1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cloud? Carbonite? Virtual Machine? Confused!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vannilee, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vannilee

vannilee Thread Starter

This is my first post here, so I hope I have all the info needed to answer. When I Google for info I am overwhelmed and don't know how to sort through all the info. My few MobileMe files need to be moved to something else by the end of June. Although I haven't use MobileMe very much, I'd like to expand on a cloud/whatever to also have a backup that is automatically updated when files are updated, etc. My files include documents, pictures, and some video. The perfect scenario would be to be able to connect, pull up and use any file/pic/etc from one place, save and automatically backup changes, and shut down. I may be talking about 2 different types of services, cloud and virtual backup

We have 4 PCs (25 yrs, both XP and WIndows 7), iMac, and MacBook Air (1yr, my primary computers now, OS X Snow Leopard). Most of my PC files are on a machine with XP, but would be happy with Mac files accessible since I always have my MacBook Air at work/school/wherever with me.

What works best for both a backup and being able to access files. I also have webspace available if that can be utilized somehow.

Thanks for any input!
    Vannilee

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Sounds like you're looking for something like Dropbox or Google Drive (haven't checked on cross-platform compatibility) where you set up a special synchronization folder on each PC and the cloud portion of the connection keeps all the folders across however many systems they are on in sync. The limit is 2-5 gigs for free, pay for more storage.

There are also static online storage/access solutions like SkyDrive and ADrive, which offers a whopping 50 gigs for free, but the administration is a bit cumbersome compared to Dropbox or Google Drive, since you need to access and update files from each system manually unless you go with some of the premium features support.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I have no clue what's best, or even if there objectively is a best. I use SugarSync to sync files across three Windows computers and, as a side effect for me, that gives me a cloud backup and access to my files from any browser (or I guess some apps) any time anywhere. I think those features are what you are requesting.

When I started several years ago it seemed to be the least expensive and adequate for my needs. There is now a free 5 GB service, and also lots of competitors both free and for pay.

4. valis

valis Moderator

Terry, you ever use SyncToy? I've been using that for years, but always looking for alternatives. Kicker is SyncToy is still free.....dunno about sugarsync.....but it does look promising.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I never tried SyncToy. A characteristic of my usage is that most of the time I have only one computer on at a time, which makes SyncToy not too attractive for me. And with SugarSync (and many others of course) I like the fact that if I'm using one of my laptops away from the house and add/modify a file I can forget about it then--the file will be backed up if and when I have internet access, and eventually all my computers will be updated.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054207